Range Rovers Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know these vehicles have some sort of polarized windscreen glass, giving off a purple hue heads-on approaching the vehicle. There is "no way" (my words, not a scientific fact) that this could register as 100% VLT on a service station tint meter, even as factory glass.

Has anyone pushed their luck and successfully tinted their windshield (at all) or front sides (below state %) and received no scrutiny when rolling through a yearly inspection?

·
Premium Member
2010-2012 Range Rover MkIII / L322
280 Posts
I know these vehicles have some sort of polarized windscreen glass, giving off a purple hue heads-on approaching the vehicle. There is "no way" (my words, not a scientific fact) that this could register as 100% VLT on a service station tint meter, even as factory glass.

Has anyone pushed their luck and successfully tinted their windshield (at all) or front sides (below state %) and received no scrutiny when rolling through a yearly inspection?
Climate windshield (can also be heated) is a 70% for UV/IR reduction. Its not on all L322s and was an option.

If you view the Land Rover Pilkington window sticker it should say "> PVB < laminated TRANSP. 70% min.". We don't have that type of inspection here but as a factory option i cant imagine they'd say anything.

I also have my windshield on the AB tinted with 30% ceramic tint, more for additional privacy than for UV/IR cause the windshield already has it. But again they don't inspect that here in California.

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Climate windshield (can also be heated) is a 70% for UV/IR reduction. Its not on all L322s and was an option.

If you view the Land Rover Pilkington window sticker it should say "> PVB < laminated TRANSP. 70% min.". We don't have that type of inspection here but as a factory option i cant imagine they'd say anything.

I also have my windshield on the AB tinted with 30% ceramic tint, more for additional privacy than for UV/IR cause the windshield already has it. But again they don't inspect that here in California.
I’ll put out some feelers for some good local shops. I’ve never been in the market for tint before!

How has the ceramic held up? Curious if they dared try to work with the dot matrix or just cut inside it.

Purportedly aftermarket tint was installed per my CARFAX report but it it was in fact done I can’t see it. There are no edges. Anywhere. The back glass just looks straight 20%!

·
Premium Member
280 Posts
I’ll put out some feelers for some good local shops. I’ve never been in the market for tint before!

How has the ceramic held up? Curious if they dared try to work with the dot matrix or just cut inside it.

Purportedly aftermarket tint was installed per my CARFAX report but it it was in fact done I can’t see it. There are no edges. Anywhere. The back glass just looks straight 20%!
They use a plotter, it fits well. My only complaint is 2 or 3 small dust specs in a corner.

If you've got the Climate UV windshield you don't really need the tinted windshield. I won't spend the money for the SC. I notice no perceptable difference between heat of either on a 100 degree day. I had to get creative mounting my dashcam and parking pass to the windshield without actually attaching them directly to the tint.

·
Registered
63 Posts
The climate windshield becomes a deeper purple with darker tint. I have 15% ceramic tint on the windshield and do feel there is an improvement in heat rejection. I recently had to get the windshield replaced and the 24 hours without the windshield tint was noticeably hotter in the California sun.

Most shops do use a plotter but the tint does go over the dot matrix. A good installer can eliminate air gaps.

No windshield tint with 5% all around

15% tint back on

·
Premium Member
280 Posts
The climate windshield becomes a deeper purple with darker tint. I have 15% ceramic tint on the windshield and do feel there is an improvement in heat rejection. I recently had to get the windshield replaced and the 24 hours without the windshield tint was noticeably hotter in the California sun.

Most shops do use a plotter but the tint does go over the dot matrix. A good installer can eliminate air gaps.

No windshield tint with 5% all around
View attachment 281125

15% tint back on
View attachment 281126
So I put a thermometer in each Rover, both with climate windshields, 1 with ceramic tint and 1 without. It was exactly the same when placed in the sunlight. I tried testing the physical temp of the windows and saw no difference inside or outside between either. I did not have a light meter to test how much light gets through.

About 1/2 of heat is UV/IR and the other is visible light. Any improvement a person sees is personal bias and anecdotal.

Tint if you like, but at least on a climate windshield there is no actual improvement.

·
Registered
463 Posts
I feel that DBB and I have something in common lol. Mine has 5% side and rear, but 35% on front windshield. I can't do below 35% as it really gets limo dark at night. As it is, no issues whatsoever with inspections. The stations here don't bother with tints legality.

·
Registered
63 Posts
So I put a thermometer in each Rover, both with climate windshields, 1 with ceramic tint and 1 without. It was exactly the same when placed in the sunlight. I tried testing the physical temp of the windows and saw no difference inside or outside between either. I did not have a light meter to test how much light gets through.

About 1/2 of heat is UV/IR and the other is visible light. Any improvement a person sees is personal bias and anecdotal.

Tint if you like, but at least on a climate windshield there is no actual improvement.
There are many factors that can contribute to interior temperature or performance of film, but without a true controlled experiment, it would be difficult to accurately test. Proper tint will accentuate the performance as the factory glass does not offer 100% rejection of UV, IR or visible light. While anecdotal, no improvement is improbable.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.