RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2006-2009 Range Rover MkIII / L322
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've read countless threads and am surprised at the lack of information on replacing the cubby box struts, since they are such a common failure.

I pulled the console apart the other night as far as I was willing to go. I see where I can drill out the rivets on the lid portion of the cubby box, but I am hitting a roadblock on where they connect to the actual box. It appears there is a single gold rod (similar to the one used as the hinge pivot point on the box) at the bottom, holding the two struts down. Am I going to have to remove the entire console from the vehicle? Could anyone shed some insight on how to remove these?

·
Registered
2010-2012 Range Rover MkIII / L322
323 Posts
LOWER DAMPER:

I replaced the lower lid damper and is was a straightforward job:

1- Open the combined lid to access the main cubby locate and remove the six sliver cad plated screws.
2- Pull the lower part of the upper lid off - there will be some resistance due to the little rubber bump stops.
3- Pull the c-clips off both ends of the old damper.
4- Push the small end pin out (may be tight).
5- Push the fat end pin out (may be tight).
6- Reverse the process to fit the new one - it will have to be fitted extended, so you'll have to raise the lid vertically to get the fat end pin in.

I pulled both rubber bump stops and replaced them with stick on felt stops - they were not helpful to the lid latching properly.

·
Registered
323 Posts
UPPER DAMPER replacement is also straightforward:

1-With upper lid open remove the black screws holding the upholstered part.
2-Remove the silver hinge trim by backing out the hinge screw (US driver's side only)
3-The upholstered lid should now come away enough to access the hinge pin removal by pulling out the clip
4-Remove the lower hinge pin by pulling out the clip.

Replace the damper by reversing the process.

YOU DON'T NEED TO DISASSEMBLE THE CONSOLE.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks so much for the info, sowr. I'm having some trouble grasping the instructions for the lower part.

On mine, this is where the damper for the upper lid attaches to the lid:
1.jpg

And this is where it attaches for the lower part:
2.jpg

Does this appear as you remember it? How did you remove the dampers from where they attach beneath the box bottom?

·
Registered
323 Posts
I was afraid of that when I posted the instructions - my 2010 looks completely different to this configuration.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ah, yeah. Unfortunately, mine is the 2006 model. Appears to be much more difficult to replace these. Glad to see there was improvement in the the following years.

·
Registered
610 Posts
Ah, yeah. Unfortunately, mine is the 2006 model. Appears to be much more difficult to replace these. Glad to see there was improvement in the the following years.
I did with my friend 3 days of job was complete PIA and expensive

1 - 8 of 8 Posts