RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My dealer wants $1200 and claims that I voided the warranty on the compressor by removing the cover when installing my rocksliders (as the rockslider manufacturer suggested). Im pretty sure that was full of mud and it is pretty hard to argue with that. Has anybody replaced one of this wihtout taking it to the dealer? There are a few on ebay for $200 but Im not sure if I can reset the systems without the testbook. RRS 2007
Thanks for any input
Dimitri

·
LIFETIME CONTRIBUTOR
2006-2009 Range Rover Sport
11,013 Posts
I had to replace my compressor, long after my factory warranty expired, through a local indy shop (I have the Rover Specialties sliders and they had to take the driver's side down first, which is a major PITA considering how heavy those suckers are. I think they used a forklift!) The thought of doing all of that myself never even crossed my mind... I can't see the compressor because of, well, the sliders :D , but I don't believe that the acoustic cover was removed on mine? I certainly don't recall the installation instructions that came with the sliders suggesting its removal. I can't remember how much the replacement compressor and labor were, but it was nowhere near $1200 of course. Where are you located, perhaps someone could recommend a good independent LR mechanic near you that can do the job cheaper and not bust your chops about your void warranty. Sorry about that.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Umberto
I sent a note to Rover Specialties to see if they have heard of anybody else having this issue. I’m pretty sure the instructions to take that cover off and I remember not being too happy about it. There is a lot of mud here is south Florida and it gets in there for good. thanks for the note and at least I will be back with the final word on this tomorrow (I need my truck back!)
Regards
Dimitri

·
LIFETIME CONTRIBUTOR
11,013 Posts
Curious to hear what they have to say. I honestly don't remember my instructions from RS directing the installer to remove that cover, but then again I was a very early "adopter" of those sliders and it's quite possible that the instructions may have been modified at a later date, there must be a good reason why they would want that insulation off... Although I cannot think of one. :oops:

·
Premium Member
1,169 Posts
my instructions say to remove the bottom half of the cover so obviously mine is not installed. the indy shop that did my install did point out that i'll hear the compressor more often now that it's removed.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Here's the final word from Off Roving [us].

It's speculation. I taught at LR University (who teaches the dealers) and I can tell you that the car was originally designed without this clamshell cover; it was added purely for sound insulation as a design request from a female focus group panel. Ford made LR add a group of female drivers [mostly employees] to be included in the final design before production and that's where we got the sound insulation, all the cup holders and some other [actually good stuff] elements of the car.

As well, you'll notice that there is no airflow through the clamshell making it just as hot of an environment as any mud which would cake around the compressor.

Sure, one could speculate that mud caked around the compressor might make it hot (while standing still), but conversely allows the compressor to run cooler (even if caked with mud) while driving because the air passes over the mud thereby dissipating the heat. It could be argued that not having the clamshell makes for a cooler operation.

Not sure if anyone's every taken their clamshell cover off but when you do wear glasses....a boat load of mud comes out of it. The clamshell neither protects the compressor from ingress of mud nor does it offer a cooler environment to operate it.

LR has had issues with their compressors and the feeding lines since launch.

No, we have not heard any trouble like this nor have we experienced it on our rigs.

One more thing, the sliders have a vent and weep holes near the compressor for cleaning.

It's only happened once to me [believe it or not], but when a dealer pulls the "voided warranty" card you can do what I do...Ask them to show you the warranty language which they are using against you. Then, have them take a temperature reading on your car driving for 30 minutes and one with a clamshell. I'll guarantee you that yours without the cover [plenty of mud in tact] will be far cooler than the clamshelll protected one.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts