RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a very harsh ride on the front of my 2001 HSE coil spring converted Rover. Steering seems tight and ok changed the steering damper. took one end of the shocks off and they seem to be ok, ball joint are ok, don't know what type of front coil springs they used. But the ride is nothing like the classics Ive had before. What springs and shocks would you suggest to at least improve the ride. Thanks for your input Chris Toronto Canada

·
Registered
517 Posts
905bailey123 said:
What springs and shocks would you suggest to at least improve the ride.
Standard shocks and air springs should give you back that factory smooth ride.

·
LEGACY VENDOR
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
2,064 Posts
What shocks do you have on the front? When I bought my Rangi, it had the Bilsteens on it and it road like a dump truck! I replaced them with Tera Fermas and I love it...

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The springs I have on the front suspension have 8 to9 coils and the bottom four coils have very little gap between them, all though the ride height seems to be ok, the truck bottoms out very easily. Can't see what make of shocks are on there. Dont wont to go back to air as I am not sure what problems there were with it for the previous owner. Anything to improve the ride up front would help. Chris Toronto.

·
JACK'S GRANDAD
9,244 Posts
Someone pass the popcorn please? :D

·
Registered
206 Posts
905bailey123 said:
The springs I have on the front suspension have 8 to9 coils and the bottom four coils have very little gap between them, all though the ride height seems to be ok, the truck bottoms out very easily. Can't see what make of shocks are on there. Dont wont to go back to air as I am not sure what problems there were with it for the previous owner. Anything to improve the ride up front would help. Chris Toronto.
Hi,

I also inherited a coil converted Rangie. It came with Atlantic British Std coils, which bottomed out on the front... a lot ! I replaced them with AB Heavy Duty coils and Bilstein shocks and it cured the bottoming out, but... the ride is harsh. All the road imperfections (100% Dominican roads/streets) are easily tranfered into the cabin. I'm slowly working on it: changed tires, sway bar links, tightened steering box, etc... I'm better than before, but still I haven't regained the magic carpet ride.

Regarding your springs:

What colour are they ? AB's are blue, with a white stripe on the fronts. Rears are progressive, which means the larger gaps between coils need to be on the bottom. Fronts are not progressive (ie: even gap between coils). also take a look at your shocks. Maybe they are not standard as well. I discovered my Indy did a bad installation on the bilsteins (one front was installed on the rear, and viceversa).

Check out AB's instructions for coil convertion, and go over the steps, checking that everything was done properly

http://www.roverparts.com/Instructions/ ... _CONV1.cfm

Regards,

N.

·
Registered
517 Posts
What size rims and rubber are you running? - can make a big difference to ride.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts