RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2002-2005 Range Rover MkIII / L322
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi guys I hope you can help. This is my first post.
I have a 02 4.4 v8 with 126000 on the clock. It had a new box 60000 miles ago.
The problem is when slowing down just befor I stop it bangs down from 2nd to 1st but only when the box is warm but is fine when I do it in manual. I have a new box oil cooler and thermostat coming and will fit them this weekend. It had a new rad 3 years ago and I changed the box oil and filter 3 weeks ago and the problem is a bit better for it. Any help would be appreciated is I bought the car 6 weeks ago for my wife and 8 month old baby girl to keep them safe after her ford mondeo was smashed up and they were lucky not to be hurt, so I thought 2.5 T of steel is safer than 1.5t. Thanks again.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I was watching the revs last night and it's like it's a late shift from 2nd to 1st. The revs get to about 600 rpm then it changes down to 1st. But when the box is cold it changes at about 800 to 1000 rpm strange and the wife won't drive it because it scares her and I bloody bought it 4 her lol.

·
LEGACY VENDOR
2,378 Posts
Clearly this is a very common issue with the 6-speed ZF transmissions but much less so with the 5-speeds. The only two explanations I’ve seen for it are :

1. Low engine tickover speed (it being so sensitive that switching the air con off, which reduces the tickover speed by 100rpm, can make a large difference)
2. High transmission fluid temperature

I once stripped down a valve body for a forum member to see if I could find any clues as to the cause but, just based on a visual inspection, there was nothing obvious. It remains a bit of a mystery (to me, at least) I’m afraid.

http://www.rangerovers.net/forum/6-...ck-before-completely-stopping.html#post324984

Phil

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks Phil wash hoping to have your input as I've read many of your other post and to be honest your a bloody legend :smile: I will be doing the box cooler and thermostat this sat and go from there. I have a friend that works at a main dealer. He said he will update the software and reset the adaptations on the box and engine. I will get him to up the tickover rpm to 750 or should I go for 800? Thanks again.

·
LEGACY VENDOR
2,378 Posts
Personally, I’d see if fixing the cooling system sorts the problem first before tweaking the idle speed.

Certainly the adaptions can be reset for the GM 5L40-E box used in the TD6, and also for the later 6- & 8-speed units, but I’ve never heard of software updates and adaption resets being available from the dealer for the Range Rover 5HP24 transmission before so I’d be very interested if your friend manages to do this.

Phil

·
Registered
2006-2009 Range Rover MkIII / L322
10 Posts
I had the same issue with my 2008 SC (120,000 mi) and it had me worried. I had my mechanic change the filter, and we used Redline D4 transmission fluid at his recommendation. Almost 5,000 miles later I have not experienced the hard bump shift when slowing for a stop. Good luck...

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well I changed the box cooler + thermostat plus I clean the throttle body and reset the throttle body adaptations and all seemed great but after a few days it was back but not half as bad. I found that the electric thermostat fault on the engine and that there is an over advance on the timing on bank 1. So I will be changing the camshaft sensor and doing a lot of wiring checks looking for brakes in the wiring. The strange thing is that some times it will idle at about 600 rpm 750ish rpm and 800ish rpm. But doesn't hunt just sits at one of the three rpms. It did this before the reset to so I am wondering if the box ecu is getting confused by this. Any ideas?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts