Range Rovers Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I am trying to re-instate the HK stereo system on my 97 4.0 SE. The previous owner got past the well documented stereo problems by simply cutting the door amp loom completely off, and connecting the stereo directly to the speakers. I have purchased a Bosch Dover head unit (low key and understated head unit, i don't like bling) and a Nexxia H2L harness. However, I need to reconnect the HK amps to the loom. The 10 pin connectors that plug into the amps are missing. Can anyone identify their type and where i might purchase them so that i can re-build the amp loom?

·
RIP Our Friend
27,834 Posts
You'd most likely have the best luck just buying a new door harness for reach side from a wrecker. This would ensure proper connections, wiring colour and placement.

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
690 Posts
Probably not. The HK stuff needs a high-impedance source from the stereo, and won't work with speaker-level outputs from "normal" stereos. If you can live with the lack of modern features, the stock Clarion stereo and HK amps work brilliantly - and you can adapt it so the tape input can be used for a normal 3.5mm jack. I did this, and use it with a 7" tablet velcroed onto the dashboard.

What exactly are these "well documented stereo problems", anyway?

G

·
mine has the Stock Alpine HU with HK system, i let go of the CD player (never use cd's anyway) and connected an interface to that spot which lets an external musicsource via 3,5mm jack to be recognised as CD-1 simply plug the phone in and ready.

do not realy have an urge to put something else in, but was wondering about the story of the bosch HU being used..

Tried to put a musicmutebox between the HU and the ISO connector, does not work either (phone (carkit) over carspeakers).

if you don't have a headunit..... what would you have?

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
44 Posts
Or if all you want is a aux jack try http://www.gb4x4radios.com/usa/ they claim to be able to add one without losing any features. I think I'm going to have mine done soon and get it out the back of the head unit and then route it to the blank switch plate on the dash. Best of all they only work on land rover equipment so I would give them a try.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the replies. All I need is the 10pin connector, can sort the wiring out myself. I can usually find obscure connectors trawling through the web, but haven't been able to identify this connector yet. Had a look at eBay, second hand looms with the HK wiring aren't as easy to find as i expected. Will keep trying.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts