RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hey guys this might be my first post on here I believe. Anyways I have a 2008 range rover sport hse. I've had it for 2 yrs now and hitting 145k km and still running like a dream. Since I'm not a smoker I wanted to get rid of the cigarette lighter and put it to better use so I decided to hardwire a USB charge port for my phone. So I used a USB port from a ram 1500 and found it is an exact fit for existing hole no drilling or fussing just placed some spade connectors on to if into existing vehicle harness and tested works perfect.

Attachments

·
SUPER MODERATOR
2006-2009 Range Rover Sport
4,461 Posts
That's a lot of work considering you could just plug a device into the cig. lighter that has 2 USB ports on it or even put a single to dual cig lighter into the current one, and make one a USB port and the other still a cig lighter...

Welcome!

·
Administrator
27,803 Posts
But then he wouldn't have the really kewl USB flip top cover.

I most likely would do the same install... it does look very clean and tidy.

Then again even in my old 84 Lincoln I have the dual USB plug for the cigar lighter. one side for my cell and one for the Nav on the rare occasions I don;t know where I am going. They are never used at the same time so a fuse issue is never a problem.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well truthfully I know I could have used a plug in adapter but I don't use the cigarette lighter and wanted something that looked clean without looking like an after thought. The kewl flip cover was just a bonus.

·
Registered
227 Posts
A cover under the cover, makes perfect sense from the usability point of view ;)
Would do a bit better on the passenger 12v port at the rear of the centre console, it's a much more complicated install though. And you do not get to see it very often ;)

·
SUPER MODERATOR
4,461 Posts
A cover under the cover, makes perfect sense from the usability point of view ;);)
A RECESSED cover under the cover vs. just an exposed USB port...looks good, but a bit impractical for ease of use to be sure, now if this were illuminated at night with a multi colored lighting scheme, I would tip my hat!

·
Registered
198 Posts
A cover under the cover, makes perfect sense from the usability point of view ;)
Would do a bit better on the passenger 12v port at the rear of the centre console, it's a much more complicated install though. And you do not get to see it very often ;)
Just recently took the rear center console 12v out and soldered a wire for a wireless charger. Now i have a hardwired "fatboy" wireless charger and the port empty. It was very easy. 30 minute job.
Need to make the fatboy stickier though, phone flies off like crazy.

https://www.microsoft.com/en/mobile/accessory/dt-901/

·
Registered
227 Posts
I wanted to replace the rear 12v port with a dual USB and it seems to involve taking the whole console apart, removing the armrest, refrigerator etc. Is there an easier way?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts