RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
665 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
the 92 i have I'd like to turn into a dedicated or at least a hardcore offroad truck, not a lot of info and bulids for hte classic on the net. anyone see anything?

What i have in mind: unimog portal axles. with 6.5:1 diff gears i can run 44 inch tires and still be under geared, may need an overdrive tranny. it is 84 inches wide, about 7 inches wider then the classic, so then i'll have some stability

·
Registered
665 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
just crunching some numbers, for a 92 rover, the transmission 4th gear is 0.78:1 which is overdrive, and the t-case is 1.206:1 high, so is that an underdrive, essentially the final drive of those two would be 0.94. right? then overall final drive is 3.327.

if i get a 1:1 transfercase and 488 gears what sixe tires could i theortically run?

·
Registered
269 Posts
Not sure about the math but a rangie on mog axles would be sweet. I think it would be more useable with 35 in tires 44s just seems too big.

·
Registered
665 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
absolutely more useable on 35s, but mog axles are so wide it would be stable, plus gives a 6.5 inch lift. I always wanted a truck with big tires

·
Registered
153 Posts
I can't imagine why you would think the Discovery you posted is a "hardcore offroader". In all my years, I have never seen a rock crawler, a mudder, or a trail rig that looks like that. Probably for good reason, too.

·
Banned
1,162 Posts
shupack said:
If you read the whole thread on that disco, the REAL hard-core LR guys are bashing him to pieces. I don't see the point in that disco and didn't intend it to be an example of the real tech in that forum.
I think you will find that people will knock most things they don't understand. Because they can't by it from their local 4X4 store, it must be bad.
Putting portal axles on will make an incredible difference in what it will do off-road. I think you will find that the tyre selection was the issue on that Pirate thread. They were way too wide for the weight of the vehicle and it did not have the power to spin them quick enough.

·
Registered
665 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Let me correct that,I do not think that Discovery is hardcore, i probably do more hardcore stuff with my stock disco on 33s. i had a piture where water was up to the scenter console.

What I wanted, was pictures of classics with large tires. i really want to run mog axles, with the 6.5:1 axle I'm good to run 44s if i can make them fit. I wanted to see what was done for the gastank, fenders, etc. I will need to move the rear axle back about 6 inches, front forward a few. I think air suspension is a must, lower for street use and raised to allow some articulation. Probably not the most stable truck, but unimogs are awsome offroad, this frankenstein classic idea cant be too bad either.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts