RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 1991 RRC has been hard to start lately. The problem seems intermittent. It is as if the battery is low, but it isn’t. Battery is 1 year old and checked out fine. See video

·
Registered
1 Posts
My 1993 classic Range Rover won’t start checked battery & alternator & starter motor all good had auto electrician test wiring all fusses ok but no power going to the immobiliser also no power to the ecu window lift any ideas

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Tonight I noticed that the headlights dim when I start the car (when it sounds like the engine is struggling). Should I have the battery tested before going through the trouble of replacing the starter?

·
Registered
294 Posts
The headlights will dim while cranking the motor.

Cranking is the highest draw you can make from the battery, if you hook up a volt meter you'll see something like 12.7volts on a decent battery without load. Leave the volt meter running and crank it, you'll see roughly 10.4volts during that phase. The headlights are in effect a voltmeter, driven at lower available voltage will show them going dimmer.

Voltage although an indication of battery health is not the only thing in play. How it kicks out amperage and the rate at which it can do that, shows in how fast it can crank the motor.

One way of checking battery capability is to hook up another one with jump leads, if it improves starting with the two then it shows that the original can't deliver the amps required.

Battery quality plays an important part in longer life cranking ability, some are just much better at survival than others. You can also get this checked at a battery store, they run a test meter while you start it and that load condition will show if the battery as it is now can deliver the goods.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
About this Discussion
7 Replies
5 Participants
dwoodskc
RangeRovers.net Forum
We’re a community forum to discuss and assist on issues with every Range Rover model. Sign up if you have a question, answer or to meet like minded individuals
Full Forum Listing