RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well,
After lusting after a RR since the first arrived to our shores, I finally purchased a 2000 4.0 SE with only 45K. The truck was a two-owner, with decent records, very tight, and bone dry underneath! Paid $8K, which I think was a pretty decent price.

Aside from a few odds and ends, I have a slight noise whirring noise towards the front when decelerating from about 55 to 50 mph and then from 35 to 30 mph. From 35 to 30, there is an ever slight vibration in the steering wheel (off and on).

I'm fairly certain it's not wheel bearings as the noise does not increase/decrease when turning left to right.

The board posts here seem to suggest it's likely u-joints or driveshaft, but my mechanic said they looked great, no play at all. We just replaced the steering dampener with a new OEM one, that fixed some wandering, but not the noise. Does it seem more likely to be the u-joints or the front differential? I would just be surprised that a front diff would fail at 45K. Could the noise be the transfer case? On the other hand, is it normal to have some driveline noise in a Rover?

Also, what do you think a fair price is for either u-joint replacement or the differential? Are they labor intensive?

Thanks to all in advance and thanks for all the good research on rangerover.net prior to my purchase!!

·
Premium Member
2002-2005 Range Rover MkIII / L322
3,622 Posts
I've had a little driveline whine in mine since I've bought it. 166k miles later it sounds the same.

·
Registered
701 Posts
Mine doesn't really do it at specific speeds. Usually just when accelerating or decelerating, I would check the u joint grease, diff fluid, and transmission fluid just to make sure :wink: . To me it sounds like everything is fine.

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
148 Posts
kmagnuss said:
I've had a little driveline whine in mine since I've bought it. 166k miles later it sounds the same.
I don't let my wife in the car anymore...

Or.. The other option... Turn the radio up..

·
Registered
217 Posts
Hey doug, this is Big-T, I got your e-mail, hopefully your problem is the same. Go to youtube and enter ; Fixed the noise my Range Rover makes the cheap way ; and watch the video to see if the noise your toy is making is the same. If it is all you have to replace will be the 8 plastic clips that hold the windshield trim down tight. Good luck, hope you find it, Big-T. :pray:

·
Registered
217 Posts
Hey Doug, also, if you go to my thread, ;Vibration in 01 4.6 hse drive train;I think it's on page 4 by now, you will see the procedure for replacing the windshield clips, if, hopefully, your problem is the same as mine. Good luck, let me know how it turns out. :thumb:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts