RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone
Newbie owner here, just bought my first l494 rrs autobiography sdv6 2016.

Being my first im very unsure about the ride... Its very boat like, its rocks side to side more than i would expect, and its not confident on the back roads.
Pressing the dynamic road makes no difference to suspension at all.

My neighbour who has driven his friends rrs and is identical to mine, had a drive in it and said mine rocks a lot more and feels like a boat.

Its booked into lr on warranty in a couple of weeks but i dont want them fobbing me off saying thats how they are.

Anyone had something similar, or know what the fault may be. Its coverd 53k miles bought from a jlr dealer

·
Registered
2016-2018 Range Rover Sport
20 Posts
Hi everyone
Newbie owner here, just bought my first l494 rrs autobiography sdv6 2016.

Being my first im very unsure about the ride... Its very boat like, its rocks side to side more than i would expect, and its not confident on the back roads.
Pressing the dynamic road makes no difference to suspension at all.

My neighbour who has driven his friends rrs and is identical to mine, had a drive in it and said mine rocks a lot more and feels like a boat.

Its booked into lr on warranty in a couple of weeks but i dont want them fobbing me off saying thats how they are.

Anyone had something similar, or know what the fault may be. Its coverd 53k miles bought from a jlr dealer
Were you unable to drive before purchase? I would suggest drive another to compare your self.

·
Registered
2016-2018 Range Rover Sport
1,075 Posts
The dynamic setting is supposed to firm up the suspension, pedal responsiveness, and tighten the steering. If none of this occurs then maybe something is up with the vehicle.

I have the 5.0 V8 and while the vehicle is not a sports car, I would not call it a boat with handling by any means.

·
Premium Member
1,257 Posts
Post your VIN, I'd like to see if it has active cornering or not.

·
Premium Member
1,257 Posts
Really well specced car you have. It's basically the spec of my first L494 Sport, black with black lower cladding. Only difference I had zebra wood trim.

• ACTIVE ROLL CONTROL
  • CONTINUOUS VARIABLE DAMPING
There's definitely something wrong being you have active cornering...

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thank you,
Yes being my first one im in love with it, except the handling.
Hopefully lr dealer will sort it, im just afraid dealer may try to fob me off saying thats how they handle.

·
Registered
2013-2015 Range Rover Sport
198 Posts
Could the shocks be shot?

Sent from my G8441 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Im guessing so, that was my first thought, i could bounce on the sill and see if the suspension bounces or settles as it should

·
Registered
732 Posts
I'm in agreeement with Naks about the shocks. My '14 L494 had the same issue and the dealer end up replacing the shocks/air suspension. When it was broken, everything still works, air suspension, auto-leveling etc, but it feels like it's on comfort mode and if I drive over a speed bump, it floats like a boat. Feels like your grandpa's Buick wagon.

-ThinkMac-

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Ah ithinkmac really glad to hear you had the same fault,, mine is under warranty as ive just bought it 1 month ago.
Mine feels terrible just like a boat my passenger feels sick as it rocks so much, how did the dealership diagnose it? Did you just tell them and they sorted it no problem?

·
Registered
2013-2015 Range Rover Sport
198 Posts
It would be a bit strange if it were the shocks though - my MY15 is still on the original shocks, and I bought it with 65,000km on the clock.

Since I bought it in June 2018, I've done numerous off-road trips, and a few long road trip, and no issues whatsoever.

What I'm getting at is that the precious owner may have mistreated the vehicle for it to display such a bad ride now?

Sent from my G8441 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thats a good point, ive no idea about the previous owner its covered 53k miles on a 16plate so i would think a lot of motorway miles. Be very interesting to know what the dealers say about it.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Quick update before i take it in on the 13th
My friend who has one similar came for a drive in mine,first thing he commented was that it was sagging on the passenger rear and yes handles like a boat. So looks like its a shock or something to do with that rear wheel.
Interesting is that my access height is going bezerk
It goes to full access when stopping.

So im guessing as the rear shock isnt as level as the others it thinks its in an off-road situation so goes into extended mode.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts