Range Rovers Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, The rubber boot on the Half Shaft (front Axel, CV, Right Side) has a 1 inch split, and there's a bunch of grease smeared all over the right side suspension, brakes and steering system. I don't know when it split. From the quanity of grease all over the place, I would say there is NOT any grease left within the axel boot. I also have some 'knocking', at the front. So I probably need to replace the axel. Boot Kit (Boot, grease and clips, NOT including Axel) from British Atlantic is just under $100. My local Tires Plus will charge $205 for the entire Half Shaft with new boot attached. Part # / Description is 60-9217 R reman CV COMPL ASSY. I did a search for this part number, and can't find it. I'm guessing "reman" means remanufactured. Thoughts? Opinions? Their Labor quote is $198. Additionally they say an Alignment is required afterwards, cost of $75. Add 5% Tax for a total of Approx $500. I have the RAVE Manual, and I've just successfully replaced both Front Brake Rotors and Pads, along with both Sway Bar Links - This was actually the first time I have EVER worked on a Car, and it seemed pretty straightforward, and the Brakes actually work very well, and are SILENT, so I'm feeling kind of proud of myself and would like to attempt to fit the Half Shaft myself, if I can find the part. Anybody know where I can get the part? New or remanufactured? I do apologize if this isn't exactly the correct place to post this question.

The vehicle is a 2003 Range Rover HSE, Dark Blue with Sand interior, with the Dark walnut trim. 118,000 miles. With the usual very large amount of peeling trim inside the vehicle. Also has the common dead-pixel issue. Also has a very slight Coolant Leak. These are going to be my next projects.

I have used this forum to get TON's of good advice - Thanks to everybody who has provided advice to people like me. I plan on posting a long and detailed history of the vehicle, it's issues, how I've fixed them, with lots of pictures, sometime in November. I also plan on changing Tie-Rod Ends soon and VIDEO taping the procedure. I'll get these from British Atlantic for approx $65 each. 1 inner and 1 outer per side = 4 total. May also change Front suspension Bushings. Thanks, Simon Nevill.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Changing the CV boot is a swine of a job, the boot kit which contains two boots (inner and outer), grease, snap rings and clips. The kit costs in the region of £70+ from LR and are made from a hard plastic. The only way to fit them is to split the shaft at the joints (where the snap rings fit) which for me was an impossible task, they would not split. I had to buy the stretchy type of boot and slide it over the end of the shaft (another difficult task).

Your best option is to accept the $205 option from Tires Plus, this seems to be a bit of a bargain

Attachments

·
Registered
122 Posts
if it is knocking then the axle needs to be replaced. I replace one in awhile ago on the other car i had. I didn't have the right tools for the job and it took a rachet with a 10' extension pole, WD40 and 2-150lbs plus people hanging from the pole to loosen the hub nut( i beleive that's what it is called). I wouldn't do that again with out a good air impact wrench.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I've done a little more research, and there is a company here in Madison called CV Pro's, (they only do Axel and Suspension work) who will fit a replacement for $220, which includes a 12 month / 12,000 mile Warranty. $260 would include a Lifetime Warranty. This cost includes the cost of all the parts and the installation, and they have the parts in stock. They also say that they have a way of fitting without needing to do an Alignment afterwards, which will save another $75. They could have easily told me that they would need to do an Alignment, so I'm thinking they are probably pretty trustworthy. They are also busy enough that I need to book an appointment. Another good sign? Anyway, I'm going to get the work done and I'll report back.

Now for a stupid question - How do I set-up and add a Signature to my Posts? I have honestly spent some time searching how to do this, and obviously I'm not being very clever, but perhaps someone could help me out with this.

Thanks, Simon Nevill. Madison, WI. Adriatic Blue 2003 HSE with 120,000.

G

·
Spend the extra $40 and get the lifetime coverage.

For your signature, click on user control panel (towards the upper right of the page under board index) click on the profile tab in the next screen and on the left is an area that states "edit signature" from there, go nuts...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.