RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2013-2015 Range Rover Sport
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

I have a 2016 RRS V8 Dynamic that I LOVE! The lease comes to an end at the end of June 2019.

I had intended to buy it. The KMs are low at 40,000. I have an allowance of 65,000 km. Basically - dude tiring left drove right in front of me. I have a broken driver side headlight, the front fender is broken on the driver's side, and the hood has an orange sized dent. I do not know what else is damaged. I neglected to take photos. The car has been bullet-proof.

I have been deemed not be at fault.

There is a Police report and hence it will be reported on Carfax etc.

Assuming that there is no more damage; would you guys suggest returning it at lease end? I love the car but this will probably effect the value of the car.

·
Registered
2019-2021 Range Rover Sport
470 Posts
I had minor damage to my 2015 ATB that resulted in a replaced tailgate and rear bumper cover. Despite getting factory replacement parts, my trade in decreased in value by $11,500 (US). That is something to figure into the value equation for you.

I was was able to recover the difference from the insurance company of the driver who was at fault.

·
Registered
2016-2018 Range Rover Sport
127 Posts
I have a 2016 RRS V8 Dynamic that I LOVE! The lease comes to an end at the end of June 2019.

Assuming that there is no more damage; would you guys suggest returning it at lease end? I love the car but this will probably effect the value of the car.
I would take advantage of one the lease benefits and simply turn the car back in at the end of your lease. Plus, the new RRS telematic systems are way better than the older 2016 version (e.g., surround camera is very useful) so there are a lot of benefits if you're willing to jump into a new RRS lease.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you for your responses. I guess I will start looking into options. I will probably pick up another RRS; or maybe a Raptor and get an aftermarket steel bumper with a winch! That way fender benders will be just that! Perhaps I will also get brush bars for deer.....
:roll:

·
Premium Member
113 Posts
Thank you for your responses. I guess I will start looking into options. I will probably pick up another RRS; or maybe a Raptor and get an aftermarket steel bumper with a winch! That way fender benders will be just that! Perhaps I will also get brush bars for deer.....
:roll:
In 2017, I was rear ended and cost of repair was less than $2k. I ended up still buying my leased 2016 RRS in 2018. My thinking at the time was that I know this vehicle and it has been very reliable. I did wanted to keep it for a few more years... Why risk buying another... Plus, the interest rate were low and I was able to lower my monthly payment at the same time.

Then when the 2019 RRS came out, I was longing for the smell of a new RRS. I had my sales advisor run some numbers for me and I was shocked to see how low my trade-in value was. It nearly dropped by $10k due to the accident.

Just return the one you have and get a new one. Not worth making the mistake I made. BTW, I am still enjoying my 2016. It is as good as new with 40k miles.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
That really sucks, sunnygps. It's a shame how cars depreciate so much more quickly even though the damage is not structural. At the same time; I'd probably not buy a car that had been in a collision.

I do love the RRS, but I am surprised at how fragile it is.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Depends. If you have (1) no frame damage, (2) the shop that fixes it uses OEM parts, (3) repair is done well, (4) you can plan to keep the car basically forever until it dies. If the four is met I would consider keeping the car since trade-in value won’t matter much and the dent on sale price won’t matter much either.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So - it's going to take CAD$ 17,150 to repair!!

Fun fact. I had the car serviced the day of collision and they had replaced the brake fluid. When I had the accident I was returning to the dealership because the brakes were 'squishy.'

On an impulse I just checked vehicle health. Guess what?

The brake fluid level is low!

BrakeFluid.jpg

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Was the crash due to the car being unable to stop quickly enough?
I can tell you that the ABS did not kick in - there was light rain with no standing water. My seatbelt did not lock.

I suspect that I would have been able to stop if my brakes were functioning as they normally do.

I am completely unhurt. The dealership has given me an F-Pace to drive while my RRS gets repaired. I will not be buying it at lease end. I have lost trust in the service department.

I'm not interested in the legal BS. I suspect they didn't bleed the brakes. I would like to report it so that the dealer does not mess around with brakes. My 2 favourite parts of a car are the tires and brakes. I like to be able to stop.... Should I report it to Land Rover Canada or should I talk to the Dealership owner or should I just forget it and get a Ford Raptor...?

·
Registered
55 Posts
Run a Carfax. It may not be reported to Carfax. My sons car was dropped from a tow truck and had $11 K in damages. When he traded it in their was no sign of an accident on the Carfax report. We were honest with the dealer ( good relationship) about the accident and still received full value for the trade.

PS What app gives you the vehicle health report? Is it a LR app?

·
Registered
2014 RRS
1,445 Posts
I can tell you that the ABS did not kick in - there was light rain with no standing water. My seatbelt did not lock.

I suspect that I would have been able to stop if my brakes were functioning as they normally do.

I am completely unhurt. The dealership has given me an F-Pace to drive while my RRS gets repaired. I will not be buying it at lease end. I have lost trust in the service department.

I'm not interested in the legal BS. I suspect they didn't bleed the brakes. I would like to report it so that the dealer does not mess around with brakes. My 2 favourite parts of a car are the tires and brakes. I like to be able to stop.... Should I report it to Land Rover Canada or should I talk to the Dealership owner or should I just forget it and get a Ford Raptor...?
If you are interested in purchasing another car from that dealership, I would schedule a meeting with the general manager and present all the information regarding the accident just as you have done on the forum. Don't point any fingers and proceed with "That being said, I would like to see what you can do on a new RRS." He should understand without you telling him that that you could present the information to the other parties insurance company and a whole new can of worms might open up.

·
Registered
27 Posts
You’ll find it on the Fourth page “Assistance”
bottom of page “vehicle health report “

·
Registered
2016 RR Sport SC Dynamic
1,157 Posts
I would be careful with how you proceed. You are already in the clear and not at fault. Any suggestion that your car may have played a role (even though you did everything right) will only open you to trouble I think as the dealer will be quick to shift blame.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I would be careful with how you proceed. You are already in the clear and not at fault. Any suggestion that your car may have played a role (even though you did everything right) will only open you to trouble I think as the dealer will be quick to shift blame.
I appreciate your insight. I have decided to not do anything and terminate my relationship with Land Rover on June 30th at lease end.

There is no blame to shift. The 2 factors; 1 - I have a dash cam video of the other car pulling out of the gas station right into my path and, 2-, I could not stop in time. The brakes may have had something to do with factor number 2. I'm not interested in proving or disproving it.

I have decided to trade my F-Type in, buy a Ford Raptor, and return the Range Rover Sport. I have had a great 8 years in 2 different Range Rover Sports.

You guys have been great on this forum. Thanks for all the insights, advice, and laughs.

·
Registered
2016 RR Sport SC Dynamic
1,157 Posts
Glad to hear you have decided on how to move forward. Sorry to hear you will be moving on.

I have always assumed my next vehicle would be from JLR, but there are so many compelling vehicles hitting the market now it's hard to know. Good thing I have a bit of time to decide.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I appreciate your insight. I have decided to not do anything and terminate my relationship with Land Rover on June 30th at lease end.

There is no blame to shift. The 2 factors; 1 - I have a dash cam video of the other car pulling out of the gas station right into my path and, 2-, I could not stop in time. The brakes may have had something to do with factor number 2. I'm not interested in proving or disproving it.

I have decided to trade my F-Type in, buy a Ford Raptor, and return the Range Rover Sport. I have had a great 8 years in 2 different Range Rover Sports.

You guys have been great on this forum. Thanks for all the insights, advice, and laughs.
It's the smart move. I was just in the market for a used 15'/16' RRS and can tell you for sure the value of the car goes down significantly if there was an accident. I think it's even more so for Land Rover vehicles since they're already considered "unreliable".

1 - 19 of 19 Posts