RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sooooooo... I learned a valuable lesson tonight... Changed my belt and added some stop leak "took the top radiator hose off". When I put it back on, I apparently pushed it down a "wee bit" too far. Took it for a ride and though "WOW it sure smells like coolant..." The belt wore a hole in the hose and now I'm stuck without my rover until Tue-Wed... Thought I'd give you guys a good laugh...

·
Registered
186 Posts
Doesn't that make you just Thor?

Sorry.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
LOL :lol:

It's ok, guarantee I won't ever do that again! Could have turned out a lot worse, I'm lucky that the belt somehow made a slight "seal" against the hose and i really didn't lose too much fluid until I pulled the hose up after I got home! Kind of off topic, but since I it's down for a couple days I figure it's a good time to flush the coolant and replace, what's a "favorite" coolant to use?

·
Registered
86 Posts
I use Kwik Trip 50/50...This is because my rig likes to flush itself every couple of weeks due to a small leak in the timing chain cover... :crybaby2: ...So why break the bank with Top Shelf coolant when the rail offers the same benefits, keeping the engine cool... :thumb:

·
Registered
186 Posts
I've flushed out my D2 completely, and switched it over to green. I still use dex cool or a clone in the RR. I think it's more important to replace whatever type you use every two years than the type itself. I have a friend who drives truck during the winter in the northwest territories. They drive across frozen lakes to deliver material to the mines in northern Canada. He said they use alcohol in the radiator up there, but I don't know if he's jerking me around or not. I was thinking you could never do that in North Dakota since all the frat boys would be draining your system on friday night.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So, I'm still waiting on my new rad hose (hopefully be here today...). Going to flush the system tonight after work. Living in Wisconsin, a 50/50 mix should suffice, correct?

G

·
0 Posts
triplb25 said:
So, I'm still waiting on my new rad hose (hopefully be here today...). Going to flush the system tonight after work. Living in Wisconsin, a 50/50 mix should suffice, correct?
50/50 will be fine. Due to the anti corrosion properties of coolant correctly mixed, it should be ran year round (this is an FYI to those in the UK who regularly replace it with tap water. You know who you are)

I may be wrong, but I would advise against using stop leak in the range rover or any vehicle that has an Al alloy engine. These rely on tiny oil galleries to keep everything lubed and running nice. The additives in these "stop leak" products can plug them up causing oil starvation.
Just my 2cents

·
Registered
186 Posts
Yes - 50/50 gives you the highest level of protection, something like 35 to 40 below. Full strength is actually less effective. I've had only one experience in over 35 years where the radiator partially froze with 50/50 glycol, at minus 45. I think the air coming through the radiator when it started was the culprit, and it didn't freeze all that hard. I now put a cover over the grill when it's below minus 30.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the input guys. Don't worry, I won't be using tap water!

·
JACK'S GRANDAD
9,244 Posts
On the advice of a mate of mine over here, I used the Bars stop leak with great success, just like he did quite a number of years ago. Over 200k miles and still going strong here........
granted not the recommended fix, but I had time restraints and it worked for me just fine.
Martin

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I'm honestly not overly concerned about the stop leak, but you never know, these vehicles are testy for sure

G

·
0 Posts
leftlanetruckin said:
On the advice of a mate of mine over here, I used the Bars stop leak with great success, just like he did quite a number of years ago. Over 200k miles and still going strong here........
granted not the recommended fix, but I had time restraints and it worked for me just fine.
Martin
Good to know, but when I had issues with mine, I couldn't bring myself to put it in.

·
JACK'S GRANDAD
9,244 Posts
I was about to leave out, and actually had the o rings in hand. A mate of mine from London who lives @40miles from me happened to call and I mentioned the leaking o rings. He said he did that @4yrs ago and has never had a single issue. After the motor swap I may or may not do the bloody o rings, we'll see....lol

Martin

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
So, I may be being a "little" naive... But for removing the LH cylinder block plug, does it mean LH if stnding in front of the rover, or LH while sitting in the driver's seat? I'm 99% sure I am looking at the correct plug (LH if sitting in vehicle), but I want to be absolutely certain. Help would be great! :oops:

·
Registered
865 Posts
Its ok to use tap water in your cooling system if you're mixing 50/50 but there is a whole science to it...

If you live in a soft water area then your ok, if you live in a hard water area then simply using a water conditioner will be of benefit, you can do this in a number of ways..

Here in SA ALL hospitals and clinics have water treatment as a standard and Im sure its the same in many other countries but the treated water wont be for the loos etc but more so on the ward side.

These water filtration jugs you use to filter water are just as good as using softwater so if you have one you can use that too...enjoy the long wait to build up 11 liters

Always use a 50/50 mix of good quality anti freeze, I use BP IsoCool as it comes in 1 liter pure concentrate

·
Registered
206 Posts
triplb25 said:
So, I may be being a "little" naive... But for removing the LH cylinder block plug, does it mean LH if stnding in front of the rover, or LH while sitting in the driver's seat? I'm 99% sure I am looking at the correct plug (LH if sitting in vehicle), but I want to be absolutely certain. Help would be great! :oops:
Most people mean as if you're sitting in the car.

N.

G

·
0 Posts
NachoMan77 said:
triplb25 said:
Most people mean as if you're sitting in the car.

N.
Vehicle orientation for part identification is always done from the drivers seat.

·
Registered
640 Posts
viperover said:
Its ok to use tap water in your cooling system if you're mixing 50/50 but there is a whole science to it
Distilled water is preferable to tap water for use in vehicle cooling systems. The minerals and ions typically found in tap water can be corrosive to internal engine components especialy aluminium engines, and can cause a more rapid depletion of the anti-corrosion additives found in most antifreeze formulations.

Cheers

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
I might just add that no one should be tempted to use distilled water just by itself. It is very corrosive.

I agree the number one choice would be either distilled (or demineralised) water with a good quality antifreeze formulation that has corrosion inhibitors added. Failing that soft tap water.

The alcohol based antifreeze mentioned will be based on methanol. This is used in cheap formulations and it will really will search out leaks.

Dave
:)

1 - 20 of 29 Posts