Range Rovers Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

· Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I took delivery of my new '14 Supercharged last Tuesday. The next day had a deluge of faults and errors, plugged in my GoPoint OBDII to read some of the codes. What showed were: U0073, U0401 and P0700. Took her in and they said it was a ground issue. Took their word for it and then drove the car over the weekend. Then it all started --- with ECO on and I pull into a spot or or my driveway and press P the car shuts down completely, it's almost like clockwork. Dealer Tech said it's the Intelligent start/stop ... but how intelligent is it to shut the car down with sunroof and windows open? Tech also said see if it still shuts down without the ECO on, so far it hasn't. Has any of this happened to anyone else? Can anyone shed any light as to the cause ?

Then it's the transmission, the downshift is insanely clunky and heavy. Tech said it was natural and that they needed permission from XF? to even touch the transmission ... don't know exactly what that means but when coasting she downshifts and jerks every 10-15 mph down from 50 to 10 mph. They said I would have to wait for software update from LRNA for it to change. Is this really the norm for this new model? My last was a '12 also a Sport Supercharged and never experienced that. Allegedly it's because it's an 8 speed? I'm not a tech so can someone enlighten / verify such behavior?

I called LRNA directly about the abysmal resolution on the cameras ... told them that a 3D photo without the glasses was sharper, and that I'd be able to see more at night if I closed my eyes. A corporate tech is supposed to get back to me to discuss, but isn't it insanely bad? When I was at dealer the other day, a salesperson showed me that the resolution was equally bad on other Sports and even on the full sized. I find it both insulting and incredulous that they put such a terrible camera setup in the car. The resolution has gone down exponentially since my original '11 Sport.

And lastly, a visual issue that I want to confirm with other members ... the calipers, almost every brochure picture shows the red calipers on all wheels, I expected my supercharged to have black on all four, but only the front two had the black. While I can understand that the autobiography has Brembos on all corners, you'd expect a supercharged to at least have the visual continuity of all four in black. Or am I wrong?

As you can see I've been a member for a while, don't post as much as I'd like to but am a loyal reader. Thank you for all the insight and wit.:tongue:

· Registered
757 Posts
Oh no. Not something I want to read for such a short ownership, problems creeping up. I hope it's all resolved and it's just some software glitch and will be updated by the time I pick up mine in Dec.

Sorry to hear of your problems. Please keep us posted.

-ThinkMac-

· Banned
315 Posts
i would drop the car off immediately at dealer and start counting lemon days. they should provide you with a loaner. i would not pick up the car until it is perfect.

· Registered
1,300 Posts
Oh boy.
Sorry to hear about your problems. Hopefully others will chime in soon with their experience.
If anything I would expect an 8-speed to make such smooth shifts that they would be relatively unnoticeable.

The low-res camera is also a huge bummer. In an age where you can find a 18MP camera on a phone, there is no excuse for anything less than perfect on a $80k car. Some of these decisions are just unbelievably retarded (ala folding rear seats, lack of TFT console in all models ...)

Lastly on the calipers, I would definitely I agree that all 4 should match. That's how I've done all my cars.

Keep very close records of all your visits and document everything. You might be looking at a lemon in you have to take it back for the same issue more than 2-3 times and they give you the run-around.

· Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you one and all for your caring and responses.

In all these issues I'm truly blessed that my Dealer is completely concerned and highly responsive, yes I've bought three Supercharged from them but they go above and beyond. If it does turn out to be a Lemon, I am sure they'll do everything right all the way.

@ithinkmac I hope that there will be software updates before you take delivery and will love yours when you get her.

@Wolvesq Rover products exceed and excel, I am a customer and a complete fan. Don't let this hinder any purchase, these vehicles are completely top shelf.

@quidycat I truly hope it's only software.

@trez63 your spot on. I can't believe the calipers and cams. Tech issues happen but, come on, no one said ... "hey make the cams so people can see? ... or ... make all calipers black?, that's ballin ... who want's mix matched calipers? Isn't that auto design 101?

· Banned
315 Posts
I don't think mix and match calipers are standard. someone screwed up. I am an audi guy myself-and agree that if you love something and stand behind it (and esp. if you hve bought that brand repeatedly) the manufacturer will make it right. I've had that experience with audi and they took car of me. I am sure lr will do the same.

· Registered
20 Posts
I took delivery of my new '14 Supercharged last Tuesday. The next day had a deluge of faults and errors, plugged in my GoPoint OBDII to read some of the codes. What showed were: U0073, U0401 and P0700. Took her in and they said it was a ground issue. Took their word for it and then drove the car over the weekend. Then it all started --- with ECO on and I pull into a spot or or my driveway and press P the car shuts down completely, it's almost like clockwork. Dealer Tech said it's the Intelligent start/stop ... but how intelligent is it to shut the car down with sunroof and windows open? Tech also said see if it still shuts down without the ECO on, so far it hasn't. Has any of this happened to anyone else? Can anyone shed any light as to the cause ?

Then it's the transmission, the downshift is insanely clunky and heavy. Tech said it was natural and that they needed permission from XF? to even touch the transmission ... don't know exactly what that means but when coasting she downshifts and jerks every 10-15 mph down from 50 to 10 mph. They said I would have to wait for software update from LRNA for it to change. Is this really the norm for this new model? My last was a '12 also a Sport Supercharged and never experienced that. Allegedly it's because it's an 8 speed? I'm not a tech so can someone enlighten / verify such behavior?

I called LRNA directly about the abysmal resolution on the cameras ... told them that a 3D photo without the glasses was sharper, and that I'd be able to see more at night if I closed my eyes. A corporate tech is supposed to get back to me to discuss, but isn't it insanely bad? When I was at dealer the other day, a salesperson showed me that the resolution was equally bad on other Sports and even on the full sized. I find it both insulting and incredulous that they put such a terrible camera setup in the car. The resolution has gone down exponentially since my original '11 Sport.

And lastly, a visual issue that I want to confirm with other members ... the calipers, almost every brochure picture shows the red calipers on all wheels, I expected my supercharged to have black on all four, but only the front two had the black. While I can understand that the autobiography has Brembos on all corners, you'd expect a supercharged to at least have the visual continuity of all four in black. Or am I wrong?

As you can see I've been a member for a while, don't post as much as I'd like to but am a loyal reader. Thank you for all the insight and wit.:tongue:
The ECO feature where the car shuts off completely is a characteristic of the 2014 model. No software update will be made to change it, as it was specifically designed to turn off after 3-4 seconds while your foot is on the brakes while in Drive and completely shut off when you put it in park. That is why they have a button to turn off the "ECO" feature. It sucks though that its only good for one key cycle, as every time you get in your car, you have to remember to turn it off, or get use to the feature. It freaked me out also when I went on a test drive.

Hope all your other issues get resolved for you. Please keep us posted.

· Registered
2013-2015 Range Rover Sport
130 Posts
BOOOOOOO @ LR. I am glad the dealer is doing everything possible to assist you and get you back up and running properly. Did the dealer say the calipers were correct (in not being all one color)? Has anyone else who received a vehicle noticed this on his/her RRS?

· Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The ECO feature where the car shuts off completely is a characteristic of the 2014 model. No software update will be made to change it, as it was specifically designed to turn off after 3-4 seconds while your foot is on the brakes while in Drive and completely shut off when you put it in park.
Absolutely! I actually love when I see my MPG is and how efficient I am (really cool screen/data).

My issue is pulling into a spot/driveway then pressing park and having the entire car shutting down as if it was an electrical crash. This happens over 90%time in ECO, but not yet with the ECO off. I don't think that's the way "intelligent stop/start" was designed.

@ Sir Rover A sales person told me that the autobiography has a feature to allow one to turn off all electronic braking and so it needs the added braking on all fours so they put brembos all around. No such feature in Supercharged so no need for Brembos in back. Which made sense but doesn't explain the ugly silver calipers in the rear, nor justifies the mismatch.

· Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Went to the dealer yesterday and talked at length with my sales guide and test drove another V8 Supercharged (only 14 miles on it).

The results / observations are as follows:
1. The other Supercharged also downshifted but nothing as clunky / jerky like mine, it was quite smooth.
2. When we tested the ECO, we couldn't replicate what happens with mine so it's definitely an issue.
3. This car had Brembos on all corners but we walked the lot and looked at all the cars and NONE of them had all black, not FFRRs nor evoques.
4. The camera system is abysmal all across the board.

So, then I asked what to do ... he said wait till corporate issues updates. Also, LRNA is supposed to call today about my ticket on the calipers and the camera, I'll post later with that update.

Also learned two new things about the car that some may not know ...
A) You can't plug in an ipod and run bluetooth at the same time. Not playing them simultaneously, but having them both hooked up. It won't allow bluetooth and USB of apple products.
B) The backseat's middle portion has a pass thru for skis (or other long narrow items), there's a latch on the top right when you lower the arm rest.

· LIFETIME CONTRIBUTOR
2006-2009 Range Rover Sport
11,045 Posts
A) You can't plug in an ipod and run bluetooth at the same time. Not playing them simultaneously, but having them both hooked up. It won't allow bluetooth and USB of apple products.
That has been a "feature" since the new infotainment system was introduced on the 2012s. I nearly threw my Android phone out the window before figuring out I needed to unplug my permanently wired iPod under the arm rest (2013 LR4) for Bluetooth audio streaming to operate. They actually issued a Service Action bulletin earlier this year, not to correct the issue, but to add a popup menu informing you to disconnect the iPod first if you want to listen to music over BT. :lol: Phones pair and work over Bluetooth and coexist with a hardwired iPod no problem, it's only Bluetooth audio streaming that stops working when an iPod is connected.

· Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thank you for the reply umbertob.

That has been a "feature" since the new infotainment system was introduced on the 2012s.
I had no idea, on my 2012 Sport Supercharged, I had both the ipod hardwired and streamed bluetooth.

May I ask your opinion on my ECO and transmission issues?

· Registered
37 Posts

Have had a SC for two weeks and can help compare notes on your issues.

- down shifting for me is not an issue. I find the transmission to be very smooth with the 8 gears. Sounds like a car specific issue the dealers should fix or replace. Curious if there is a difference when you use dynamic mode.

- Eco mode sucks. I turn it off every time i start the car and will ask the dealer if it can be permanently disconnected next time i bring it in. Mine also shuts of the car when you put it in park in Eco mode - that is part of the design, i usually don't have an issue with it because i shut eco off.

- camera resolution not great. generally, i don't find the center console that advanced - for me it's the clunkiest part of what i find to be an otherwise well designed car.

- brake calipers. Mine are also black in front and smaller silver in back. I have written on other threads that this was an annoyance to me when i took delivery. The online configurator shows the red brembos as standard on the SC, but that differs from the brochure that shows them only standard on the Dynamic package or ATB. sales guy told me they are Brembos, but there is no brand on them, so no way for me to tell really. Braking performance is excellent, so no complaint there. The mismatch doesn't really bother me, but i do want to make sure i am getting standard equipment for my trim despite being one of the first cars off the line. I had similar issues about the analog TFT display, which is the other place i blame LR for being vague / misleading on what is standard equip on the SC.

Really sorry you are having problems - sounds like you have a good enough relationship with the dealer that they will hopefully make it right. I love the car, and frankly only have these little annoyances because i spent 4 months obsessing over the details while i was awaiting delivery. I am very happy with the 2014 overall. Had a chuckle today when we passed a Cayenne and my wife said, "that car looks so teeny"

· Registered
37 Posts
That has been a "feature" since the new infotainment system was introduced on the 2012s. I nearly threw my Android phone out the window before figuring out I needed to unplug my permanently wired iPod under the arm rest (2013 LR4) for Bluetooth audio streaming to operate. They actually issued a Service Action bulletin earlier this year, not to correct the issue, but to add a popup menu informing you to disconnect the iPod first if you want to listen to music over BT. :lol: Phones pair and work over Bluetooth and coexist with a hardwired iPod no problem, it's only Bluetooth audio streaming that stops working when an iPod is connected.
Salesperson alerted me to this issue when i took delivery - they must cover it in training

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.