RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1970-1995 Range Rover Classic
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have just completed an extensive mechanical restoration of my 1990 Beluga Black County with Winchester Grey leather that I have owned since new and am now looking to do a back to showroom or better cosmetic restoration. I am interested in finding a top quality restoration shop in the US or Canada and have the budget, but want a true expert involved. Please let me know if you have thoughts.

Vehicle is in excellent condition except for cracked wood that will need to be replaced, dingy/worn carpets that will need to be replaced, three rust bubbles that will need to be addressed, a dented door that will need to be reskinned, sagging headliner that will need to be replaced and a few door dings that will need to be worked out before finishing with a show quality paint job.

Once I have this one done, I will then restore my sister's 1991 County, which has similar issues. Thoughts will be very appreciated. Lots of sentimental value tied up in these Rovers.

·
Registered
345 Posts
driving a classic is a constant restoration , troubleshooting , repair project . i just started driving my 93 LWB after 2 years storage . planning to complete resto while driving . i have never taken it to anyone for repairs except for driver seat upholstery ($550) and mosswood green paint ($350 a gal plus clearcoat) baluga black will be less expensive . paint job will be $1000 by the time all trim is reinstalled with me helping .you can find someone to do wood restoration in Hemmings Motor News , some guys want as much as $1000 for this . its a lot of money to put into a car that can be replaced for $4000 or less , this is why we do most of the work ourselves . if you were in Penn Hills you could bring it to me , in your area any good body man will do since mech work is done .good luck , maybe you could post photos .

·
Registered
181 Posts
Hello 1990,

I'm on the same track but without your budget. Today the 1990 County is in the shop for reupholstery. The shop came highly recommended but I'm always suspicious of these guys. We'll see how it works out;-))

One set of my grandparents lived in East Lansing. Do you know the "Pigeon Inn"? From the seventies I recall it was an Armenian bar and at one time had a dirt track behind it. My other Grandparents lived in Okemos.

·
Registered
280 Posts
I'm retired from upholstery and had owned my own shop. It's hard to find anyone that has been formally trained and is
knowledgeable with any type of mechanics. There's a reason one shop charges way more than another...if your
upholsterer isn't willing to spend hours with a potential client, be very specific during the bid process and won't
give you the invite (without you asking) to stop by at any time unannounced to see the progress...I'd be
skeptical too. We went as far as to have the seat frames powder coated for our clients! Any seat should be
torn completely down to the bare frame and built from the inside out. If any one wants any insight to upholstery
and what questions a consumer should be asking give me a PM. I've gained alot of knowledge in this forum, I am
more than willing to share my past professional experience (30 yrs of it) with anyone who asks because there's alot
of backyard butchers out there destroying a dying art one seat at a time.

·
Registered
280 Posts
GT6Steve stated he's "suspicious of these guys", that his Rover is at an upholstery shop...I'm saying that I can give the Forum inside info on how profesional, high quality upholstery should be done. When a Forum member does decide on interior repair/upgrade folks will be able to "weed out" poor quality before they put down their hard earned money for inferior work.

·
Registered
181 Posts
And Hurrah for that! I understood CG89's point and thought it a valuable addition. In fairness to the quote, I'm suspicious of all vendors until they deliver a tangible result. If I'm satisfied I'm a fan for life but if they let me down I never forget. Luckily this place was recommended by the dealership so I expect they've had good work.

We'll know in a day or two, Friday AM at the latest....

1 - 7 of 7 Posts