RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to paint my Grill and side grills flat black. I went to a local body shop to get an estimate and they wanted $364.40. I feel like this is a rip off but i wanted to get others opinions or other options. Thanks

·
SUPER MODERATOR
2006-2009 Range Rover Sport
4,478 Posts
yup...that's a rip off...by about 100%. I wonder what that extra 40 cents is for. :D :D

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i knew it. The 40 cents was from the paint cost. They said it was $60.40 just for the paint. I would do it myself but i want it to look professional and don't know what time of paint to use that would hold up against the elements.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Actually, I think that price is pretty accurate for a good paint shop. I had my grill surround (not the horizontal bars) and the vent surrounds painted and the quotes from 4 shops came in between $300 and $410. I had the job done at one of them for $320. They did the taping, sanding, priming, color, clear and then a final buff and polish. Frankly, it is better then the factory paint.

·
SUPER MODERATOR
4,478 Posts
Must depend on where you live then, getting this done here in Houston with a great body shop costs 1/2 of what was quoted...so, maybe worthwhile for you to shop around then, or those are the prices in your area.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well i live right next to Villanova on the mainline and quite frankly everything around here is expensive. And the fact that there is a ferrari dealership right up the road doesn't help. Therefore thats why i think i'm getting ripped off cause everything is over priced.

·
Premium Member
1,739 Posts
It's trim paint for crissakes, not an engine swap. Do it yourself. Flat/matte colors are especially easy.
The very worst thing that could happen is that you end up back at square one, paying a shop to do it for you.

·
Registered
2005 Vogue 4.4
151 Posts
The very worst thing that could happen is that you end up back at square one, paying a shop to do it for you.
This ^ :)

·
Registered
2005 Vogue 4.4
151 Posts
Pictures or it didnt happen :)

·
Registered
67 Posts
a can of flat black plastidip costs $4, i did this to cars in the past and as long as you put on 3-4 heavy coats, it's solid.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts