RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello.
I am a new member, although I have been lurking on this site
for some time. This is a very informative resource.
Quick question: I am in the process of purchasing a 2006
RRS with 20k miles which is a CPO and has the extended
warranty to 6 yrs/75k. I am purchasing from a RR dealer.
Is is worth purchasing/negotiating the 100K mile warranty
on top of the 6/75K and if so, what additional coverage, besides
the miles of course, does this provide?
Thank you.

·
Premium Member
1,136 Posts
how much are they asking for? i'm guessing it won't be worth it. you didn't specify, but i'm assuming that you're talking about extending it another 2yrs/25k? how much do you drive? if you were umberto, you'd easily eat that up before the 2 yrs so you're paying for coverage for just a short amount of time. also realize there's a deductible associated per event with the extended warranty. imho, you'll be fine with the 6/75 coverage

·
LIFETIME CONTRIBUTOR
11,013 Posts
I have no opinion on extended warranties, I didn't get one and now that I have over 100K miles on my 2006 HSE I am glad I didn't. I did spend some money on repairs since my original warranty, but nothing major - 2/3 grands maybe, including scheduled maintenance that I'd have to pay for anyway - and would not have come close to paying off the premium of a decent extended warranty coverage. With 55K miles to go on your existing factory and CPO limited warranties (there's a per-visit deductible on that CPO coverage, no?), the first obvious question is whether you really plan on keeping the car for that long after you hit that 6y/75K limit. How much does the dealer want to extend that coverage to 100K miles?

PS: Welcome to the forum! Let me guess, another attorney? :wink:

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you for the welcome.
Yes, I am a lawyer--how did you know? My title by chance....

The price for the additional warranty (above 75k miles) is approx. $3k.
However, since I am still in the negotiating stage, I was going to have
him "throw it in" with the final deal. Although I want the dealer to install
the factory hitch/receiver/wiring as well.

I have been a BMW driver for years (Presently: 2007 530i Sport blk/blk; Priors: 2002 528i, 2000 M3)
and I have never purchased an extended warranty after the expiration of the factory 4/50k. I have had very few issues
with BMW out of warranty short of a few repairs here and there.

I don't drive a great amount of miles per year (perhaps 10-12k), however, I am planning on keeping
this RRS for a long time to use for hauling and towing. My question/concern is how the RRS is
holding up north of 75k miles.
Thank you.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts