RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Let me start by saying Hello to everyone as I am new here and I appreciate all your anticipated help in the future as wisdom and experience with these RR's are key That being said I have just encountered my first major problem with my 03 HSE last saturday when I hit a pothole that almost knocked my teeth out. thought I blew out a tire come to find out the next day it was the drive-side Strut and thats why it was pulling to the left .So now I have been doing a good amount of online research on these Air Struts because we all know how cheap they are..Ok Arnott remanufactured OEM strut New Bladder Old shock anyone try them?? cause the price is very attractive as is the lifetime warranty but the Rover Shop's youtube video displaying the poor quality of the clips used to hold the boot to the shock they say results in constant changing of theses struts So I need your input cause your the guys that really know if you have used there product I can't find anything bout them good or bad except for those youtube vids from the Rover shop and they did like 3-4 them.. OK secondly you have after-market Strut new like Eurospare anyone try them?? And finally OEM which I have read that the manufacturer of LR parts sells the same parts to other companies which than sell to us cheaper like Delphi ..I found one place in the UK that sells the OEM strut for 500 usd and $78 for shipping called British Parts UK .

The ride is one of the thing I cherish most bout my RR so don't want to sacrifice that so all you input is appreciated ..

·
Administrator
27,821 Posts
Re: Greetings All Strut Issues What's my best option blew out DS

My first thought would be to very carefully inspect your suspesion piece by piece. If you hit the pothole that hard you need to ensure that your strut is not bent or damaged. If it is, the bag only replacement would be a dead option.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

Ok I will do The new bag only replacement fit right onto my my shock ? and that's the Arnott one your referring to right? Have you used them? thanks for the help

·
Registered
140 Posts

if its a 2003 L322 range rover then you cannot just change the front air bag on its own you have to change the entire suspension strut.

Matt

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

To my knowledge everything I"ve read suggest that it's one piece strut I have seen the link you have provided at the Arnott sitehttp://www.arnottindustries.com/par ... id542.html Which confuses me because its for my model year 03-05 but are just the airbags interchangeable on the OEM shock or do I have to buy a shock from them that it will fit pretty confusing going to call them up tomorrow ask them about this. Looks like the strut is fine the air is just shooting out of a hole on the interior lower part of the bladder. That would be great to just replace the bag than I wouldn't have to worry about the faulty clips those guys at The Rover Shop exposed on those videos and would save me a considerable amount of money. Thanks I"ll post the findings about the bag only replacement

·
Premium Member
1,410 Posts

I've got Arnott products on 2 of my RR's (GenIII airsprings on my P38 and the replacement air bags rrt linked to above on my L322), and I would not hesitate to recommend the Arnott products I've used as very high quality aftermarket replacement parts.

That said, one of the 3 items that I thought was less than perfect was the clip shown in the Rover Shop youtube vid. These clips are commonly known as 'push nuts' and what Arnott supplied with my replacement airbags were the skinny ones shown in the vid. They were not even adequate to hold the lower piston to the strut for re-assembly. Arnott also supplied 2 used push nuts (!) which were somewhat bent and hardly held any better than the skinny ones. I ended up flattening my originals with a hammer and re-using them. This is the item in question:

I assume, for whatever reason, Arnott is having a hard time finding adequate replacements. I do find it hard to understand why Arnott compromises what is really a good product (and retails for $400) with an inadequate 3cent part.

The other 2 items of critique I have for the replacement air springs are: 1. the bump stop supplied is a run-of-the-mill automotive bump stop for vehicles w/o air suspension. Air suspension vehicles should have longer, more compliant bump stops to act as springs in case of an air suspension failure. 2. The air line inlets on the new air springs are not angled downward on the new strut mounts as they are OEM. This means that you have to take up a bit of slack in the airline in order to fit the strut. On the LH side this wasn't an issue on my RR but on the RH side, the angle of the line coming out of the cross-over valve became somewhat extreme and even worse, the line now runs quite close to the exhaust of the fuel burning heater (standard with diesels). I insulated my line with some rubber hose. To be fair, though, I imagine that Arnott has never seen a diesel RR as they're not sold in the US.

As far as rebuilt struts go, I don't particularly like th idea of installing unknown struts in my RR either - and I wouldn't want to be doing it as a shop because when the customer has problems related to a worn shock, he'll be coming back to you. I think a better idea would be to offer a rebuilding service with quick turnaround.

All that said, tho, I consider the vid a crock. Harping on the wrinkled airbag... :roll: The bag will be frozen, heated, pelted with rocks going 75mph, etc, etc, etc. And treating the push nut as if it made the entire strut worthless... If Rover-Shop-Guy wanted to do anyone a service, he'd pick up a pair of fitting push nuts - and even charge his customer an hours labor for doing it (I really can't understand that he sent the car out of the shop with the inadequate push nuts only to later show what a great guy he was by predicting the failure! Preventing th failure would have made him a great guy - not washing his hands). If he really wanted to do anyone a service, he'd also point out that with a customer bringing in his own parts and the OEM struts at over $1000/piece, he's losing over $200 per strut in parts-profit. If he charges reasonable rates, that could be close to a 50% loss in profits for replacing the struts. And that is the real reason he went through the trouble of putting a vid on youtube, IMO.

Although I really do think that they're fine products despite my critique, I'd probably go with Delphi replacement struts over Arnott replacement springs. First, you are getting new front shocks as well as new air springs, second, as the old air spring needs to be removed from the strut and the replacements fitted, you'll likely cancel any savings made in the initial parts outlay by the added labor required for the fitment.

Also rrt's advice of having the suspension checked is vital. You might be in for more than just a strut (how did you continue driving if you thought you had a flat?)

And if you want to keep your shop happy, pass on the info on the parts sources and let them order and negotiate their own discounts so they can still make a bit of money (rather than bringing your own parts with you). You won't feel it and they'll be happy because you provided them with a competitive edge.

·
Premium Member
1,410 Posts

PhilC said:
To my knowledge everything I"ve read suggest that it's one piece strut I have seen the link you have provided at the Arnott sitehttp://www.arnottindustries.com/par ... id542.html Which confuses me because its for my model year 03-05 but are just the airbags interchangeable on the OEM shock or do I have to buy a shock from them that it will fit pretty confusing going to call them up tomorrow ask them about this. Looks like the strut is fine the air is just shooting out of a hole on the interior lower part of the bladder. That would be great to just replace the bag than I wouldn't have to worry about the faulty clips those guys at The Rover Shop exposed on those videos and would save me a considerable amount of money. Thanks I"ll post the findings about the bag only replacement
The air spring wold be replaceable if LR offed the pieces - they don't.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

Thanks guys for all the priceless info , links ,and shared experiences it is Greatly appreciated Stevem even the visual of pathetic clip in question on the Arnott strut thanks again . I'm sure Arnott makes a great product but for about 150 usd more I can have a new shock as well with the OEM strut as suggested best price I found is 500 usd plus 78 for shipping at British Parts UK I think I'll get the passenger side as well as my mechanic pointed out that the other looked in despair as well .

Stevem I didn't have a flat that evening thought I did because the wheel pulling hard to the driver-side but I guess when I stepped to check the tires the compressor raised that side back up and therefore I didn't notice that side down . the following evening I was on a date and noticed that I was in high mode the whole time the system must of recognized the leak and kept refilling to high mode wasn't till I was on my way home just got off the motor-way when the system finally gave out and shut down than it was a bouncy quarter of a mile home .

Next on my agenda is a small leak in the coolant gallery that looks like labor packed job for my mechanic..

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
I've looked around but I cannot seem to find these Delphi front struts for ~ $500 USD which people keep talking about. I have found some on ebay, but I don't know whether to trust those or not. I believe my left front is finally leaking (very slightly, I haven't been able to 100% verify it) and I might as well just replace the pair. I'm hoping to make it until warmer weather so it won't be such and icy job (right now it only loses air overnight if the temp is significantly below freezing and never seems to adjust while driving). But I'd like to at least identify where I'll be ordering from, and possibly order the parts in advance so I can have them ready.

Anyone have a link to a well known site which operates in and/or ships to the USA and has a good price?

Alternatively, it seems that people like the arnott struts just fine aside from the poor quality clips... does anyone know where to order better clips separately to use in conjunction with the arnott struts? I'd rather not reuse possibly worn items from my existing struts (flattening and then reusing/bending them again means they will be more fatigued and possibly prone to failure) Push nuts are pretty common, I just don't know what size they are, and I would need them to be at least as thick/strong as the original ones.

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
Stevemfr said:
linuxfreakus said:
I've looked around but I cannot seem to find these Delphi front struts for ~ $500 USD which people keep talking about.
PhilC said:
500 usd plus 78 for shipping at British Parts UK
8)

Yes I've seen this, but there are multiple sites which could fit that description, I'm not sure which website that would refer to? Would that be http://www.britishparts.co.uk/? I am located in the USA and I have no idea which sites people in the UK consider to be reliable. I've seen a number of very convincing looking sites which are basically scams but it can take a lot of research to discover this before hand because they go to great lengths to appear legitimate.

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
Well now I'm flummoxed. I've disconnected the battery overnight just for fun for two nights, and doing it again tonight, for a 3rd night... all well within the temperature range where it would normally sink in the cold overnight... and it hasn't moved a millimeter.

Coincidence? Maybe my original struts aren't ready to give up yet after all .... not sure what it could be though, the sensors *seem* good...

I guess I will hold off on ordering the replacements for now. I need to figure out what the root of the issue is. Still anxiously awaiting Storey's "all comms" release, although I've managed to do some stuff on my own already, I am nowhere near the functionality of what Storey has, which seems like a very rough version of some of the more heavily commercialized options available. I'm sort of de-motivated knowing that if I just wait a bit longer, I'll have source code to work with :pray:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts