RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

There are a lot of posts regarding "orange/re" versus "green" coolant, the general concensus being that "orange/red" is bad (corrosive, presumably related to Dex-Cool issues...?) and that a lot of people change over to "green" coolant. However, all the information I can find is really vague and auto stores in the US seem to have very limited range of coolants, a lot being yellow in colour.

Can anyone tell me what type of "green" coolant (brand, product name etc) they use instead for a 2002 North American P38?

Cheers
Tom

·
Premium Member
2010-2012 Range Rover MkIII / L322
4,635 Posts
I always get :? by the blue or green description because it is either the old ethylene glycol or the newer G48 type coolants. Go either by part number or ingredients.

Also the 'Dex-Cool' or 'BMW' coolant description is confusing, especially if you don't know what Dex-Cool is and why you are putting a BMW coolant into a Land Rover... :snooty:

Answering your question though, you should have originally had the orange OAT coolant in a late p38, but as you've obviously drained it all out, just buy the later coolant from Land Rover. It is very expensive mind. Also, don't mix the orange with either of the others.

·
Registered
275 Posts
I asked my local LR dealer/ garage sometime ago - and they said that 94 - 99 RR's use green / blue coolant - 2000 - 2002 use red coolant... - the good thing about the red is that it is "longlife coolant" so you don't have to change it every 2/4 years as prescribed - however I done it anyway - just to be on the safe side.....

·
LEGACY VENDOR
2,491 Posts
I use the yellow one. Is it a bad idea ?
In fact, i think composition and well known brand is more important than the color

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Whilst going through my posts and realise that I never finished this one.

My local independent garage uses the violet/purple (looks pink/read to me!) Penstosin G0012000 coolant, so I decided to go with his recommendation. However, it proved difficult to find. After a lot of research I found that Pentofrost SF (also made by Pentosin) is the replacement - see: http://www.pentosin.net/f_antifreeze.asp.

It is a nitrate, amine and phosphorous free fluid designed for non-ferrous engines, so it should be good for P38's. The full spec sheet can be found at http://www.pentosin.net/pressreleases/CRP-116_Pentofrost_SF_2.pdf

So far it has been performing perfectly.

Hope this helps anyone with similar coolant queries.

·
FOUNDING MEMBER
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
484 Posts
The colour doesn't mean a lot - mainly just there as a warning that you shouldn't drink it! The expansion tank has a yellow plastic collar around it which shows what antifreeze to use (well they do in the UK) - mine has OAT + H2O written on it i.e. use an Organic Acid Technology antifreeze (mixed with water at 50% +/- 5% and don't be too worried what colour it is) ............ but I wouldn't mix different types just to be on the safe side and use distilled water as well.

As the V8 is an aluminium engine you must avoid using antifreeze containing either methanol and/or phosphate based corrosion inhibitors.

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
900 Posts
Garvin said:
The colour doesn't mean a lot - mainly just there as a warning that you shouldn't drink it! The expansion tank has a yellow plastic collar around it which shows what antifreeze to use (well they do in the UK) - mine has OAT + H2O written on it i.e. use an Organic Acid Technology antifreeze (mixed with water at 50% +/- 5% and don't be too worried what colour it is) ............ but I wouldn't mix different types just to be on the safe side and use distilled water as well.

As the V8 is an aluminium engine you must avoid using antifreeze containing either methanol and/or phosphate based corrosion inhibitors.
x5
I also searched and found that above 2000 mdl year p38 uses OAT type coolant.
So go for the later LR version or any OAT coolant. If any doubt check yr hand book.

regds

1 - 7 of 7 Posts