RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Saw a 01 P38 in the local dealership this morning. she had nice rims, EAS installed, roof rack, wood surrounding hugging the instriment cluster, a very nice green paint
and a huge gaping hole in the transmission. The front U joint exploded , the entire driveshaft was gone. It pushed the entire engine sideways, punched a hole in the transmission and almost came through the floor board. It was a pity because the onwer must have just replaced the brakes with nice drilled and slotted disks. all new ABS sensors, nice new exhaust tips.
The guy must have spent thouands on his car. Should have spent $.50 for grease. Too bad another one bits the dust.
I'll see that I maybe get some pics tomorrow (if she's still there) The guy was from jacksonville, maybe someone from here?

·
Registered
896 Posts
Happened to a guy at work on his Disco. Its just basic maintenance and not a LR thing. People can be such idiots... spend thousands on looking good but nothing to keep her running well... kills me...

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
7 Posts
I wish i could post the pics of when my front ujoint failed.... tore up my transmission pan pretty bad (was going to change out my oil anyways) and busted 2 of the screws that held the drive shaft to the trans case.... not fun.... and $800 just for the parts...

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I wish i could post the pics of when my front ujoint failed.... tore up my transmission pan pretty bad (was going to change out my oil anyways) and busted 2 of the screws that held the drive shaft to the trans case.... not fun.... and $800 just for the parts...
This one was of worse. the entire front part of the drive shaft was goneit whipped around there for a while and punched a hole in the transmission housing, ripped the engine off of the motor mounts. Its cheap to maintain, but once the joints seize and fail it will be very expensive. This one is a total loss due to it.

·
Registered
2006-2009 Range Rover MkIII / L322
883 Posts
You just reminded me I need to do that today. I greased 'em a couple months ago, but I certainly can't afford to have that happen.

I agree with what RRToadHall said once, grease them with every oil change.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
You just reminded me I need to do that today. I greased 'em a couple months ago, but I certainly can't afford to have that happen.

I agree with what RRToadHall said once, grease them with every oil change.
That's what the manual states... every 3.000 miles

1 - 6 of 6 Posts