RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today i took my RRS 4.2l SC to a garage for the water pump/thermostat change, i saw the mechanician greasing the pump gasket and edges.

After he started the car and in a couple of minutes i saw grease flowing through the expansion tank.

Is it possible that the grease affects the engine block or the radiatiors/hoses ?

·
Administrator
27,794 Posts
A bit of an exaggeration don;t you think? 8-|=

There is no way a thin coating of grease/sealant on a gasket is going to result in grease "flowing" through the expansion tank. You may see a tiny bit of sheen much like the way a single drop of oil spreads on wet asphalt. It will in no way impact your cooling system or block.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No exaggeration, the grease the guy used was a bearings grease same as the picture below, the engine overheated after i started it and the coolant didnt flow back to the expansion tank with 115c which means that the thermostat didnt open with such high degree, but once i opened the expanstion tank i saw grease flowing back to the tank.
img0665_1423584551.jpg

·
LIFETIME CONTRIBUTOR
1,382 Posts
He would have needed to fill the pump and hoses up with a gallon of grease for it to "flow" into tank after removing the cap.

If you would like to tell us the complete story on why it was getting a pump and thermostat in the first place and what happened prior to you blaming a mechanic for filling your pump up with grease we may be able to actually help.

I will break out my crystal ball for a moment.... I am seeing that it may have had overheating problems for a few weeks but nothing major and then it finally got really hot so you took it to a shop and had them change out some parts but there's still a major problem that was there before you took it in

·
Administrator
27,794 Posts
Well I suggest you take it back to the mechanic and voice your concerns. If you aren't exaggerating then we aren't getting the full story.

·
Registered
2006-2009 Range Rover Sport
80 Posts
Is it possible that he did not burp the cooling system? Also, there is a difference between the engine getting hot and overheating- two very different scenarios.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts