RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys!! Looking for some pro pointers!

I’ve read a few of the headliner reupholstering threads and haven’t noticed anyone experiencing my issue so I thought I’d post a new thread. Hopefully I’m not offending protocol.

Ive managed to reupholster my headliner and wrapped all the pillar trims with a textured vinyl. Everything is looking great and I’m steadily reinstalling everything, but I’ve hit a snag. I can’t for the life of me reinstall the 3 grab handles.

My first issue is that the grab handle openings in the headliner are slightly offset from the pair of slot and screw holes in the body. I have other accessories installed both front and rear, so it doesn’t seem like the headliner board would be able to be shifted out of place enough to cause the offset. What am I missing here?

My other issue is that I see the hook shaped tabs on the back of grab handles, but can’t for the life of me get them slipped into the slots in the body while trying to shift the headliner panel (see first issue). Is there some trick to this or am I just being too gentle. I’m trying to avoid damaging the new headliner by grabbing a hammer...

Please help...thanks.

·
Administrator
27,818 Posts
Well if they came out they they should easily go back in. If this is a matter of misalignment of the head liner panel, get a buddy to help you.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I guess I just don’t see how it could be off if the visors and those push screw plug things behind the D pillars are installed. I’ll figure something out.

·
Administrator
27,818 Posts
Have you followed the directions in RAVE? I have done over a dozen headliners for folks and never had any issues. The order in which you remove things does impact how easily the headliner can be removed. The order in which you reinstall everything that came out impacts the alignment and shape of the headliner board.

BTW the sunvisors are the second to last items to go back in. Pillar top trims are the last.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I definitely did not follow the refit sequence outlined in the shop manual. Looking forward to uninstalling everything.
CD6DCEA0-32F4-4B38-925A-8031399A76A5.jpg D9451427-99B9-484D-97BE-A2F27D4BFAE0.jpg

·
Administrator
27,818 Posts
Ugh... it may not make sense but you anchor the back, you anchor the front you refit the door and tail gate gaskets then the board is centered on the ceiling. When you fit the sunroof U channel around the opening, that is what ensures the board is tight against the sunroof cassette in the front half. It is also flexible enough to fit all the interior lighting so that the wiring is tucked away. The rest of things like the ultrasonic sensor, home link, grab handles and visors snug the rest up and the pillar upper trims anchor everything between the gasket lips

·
Registered
496 Posts
when I did my roof lining I just clipped enough of the lining in with the rubber side stripes so I could move the lining and fitted everything loose before tightening up, in other words try putting the handles on first( loose) and then line the rest up.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yep, sure enough. I loosened everything up enough to give a little play in the headliner board and got the grab handles installed.

I’d give the new headliner an 8/10. No major creases, but some pressure dents from my frustration and what looks like tiger striping in a small area from what I’m assuming is buildup when I sprayed the adhesive.

But the pillar trim pieces are a 10/10 for sure. Wrapped with a vinyl from Whisper called ‘Elephant’.

I’ll post some pictures soon.

Thanks for the help.

My latest headache is reupholstering the door panel accent with said vinyl. Why didn’t they make that panel removeable. Perfectly trimming and tucking any material into that crease is obnoxious.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts