RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
690 Posts
They look good. Expensive? What are they like for road noise? I don't mind having mine shod with fairly expensive tyres since I don't do a lot of miles in it. When I was putting 20,000 miles a year on the Volvo 340GLE Of Doom I chose fairly, uhm, "budget-conscious" tyres...

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
They look good. Expensive? What are they like for road noise? I don't mind having mine shod with fairly expensive tyres since I don't do a lot of miles in it. When I was putting 20,000 miles a year on the Volvo 340GLE Of Doom I chose fairly, uhm, "budget-conscious" tyres...
They were not cheap. Curse of that tire size as well - not many choices. Road noise is almost non existent. A very slight hum at 70mph, but no vibration.

·
Banned
3,952 Posts
Just checked mytyres.com and blackcircles and it appears they don't do the Goodyear Wrangler Duratec in 255/55x18, the standard size for a P38 on 18 inch wheels. Or they aren't available online anyway.

·
Registered
618 Posts
Um, what's wrong with budget conscious tires?

I have a set if Hankook AT/m on my Discovery which Consumer Report just rated #1 in their all terrain category.

I have Cooper on my RR, and they have served me well. Of course the spare is no name budget tire, MileStar. That's only because the rim is bent and will never rotate in the mix.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
02 Range Rover Westminster
98 Discovery LE Tdi

·
Registered
690 Posts
Nothing wrong with budget-conscious tyres at all. I just didn't see the point in caning a set of good ones considering about 25% of my driving was on very rough unpaved roads.

Of course as soon as I put good ones on, I shredded one within a week. A couple of years later, I put expensive tyres on my CX just before a long road trip, only to replace one after roughly 400 miles when my then-gf kerbed it hard, at speed, on the only bit of kerb about 50 metres long in a 22-miles journey...

·
Registered
21 Posts
I'll be doing these same tires soon. Glad to hear so many good things about them. Two of the guys at the tire shop are running them on their 4wd daily drivers too. I'm excited to have a tire that can get my family to the mountain with confidence and stay on the truck year around.

As much as I have been tempted to get those same 19's you have, I'm probably sticking with my 18's. I do have coils (PO said this = 2" lift?) and am considering 265/60/18 vs 265/65/18. Would love any feedback about this choice (the tires, not the coils... I'm working on fixing the coil part)

Cheers.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts