RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Insurance is adamant that a PDR shop can handle the 60-70 golf ball sized dents but the insurance inspector was co-located at an auto body shop and the guys there said you can't repair aluminum, needs a new hood etc. Any thoughts on PDR?

Also some of the damage is on the roof, are PDR shops good enough to remove interior lining and put it back without squeaks or rattles?

Also, don't know if this matters but I had my entire hood covered in a 3M clear bra, will that have to be removed to handle the dents? Thanks in advance.

Here's another also, I am in SF, if anyone has any PDR referrals that would also be appreciated.

·
SUPER MODERATOR
2010-2012 Range Rover Sport
1,986 Posts
PDR is better than any repair or replace. You just need a referral to someone that does a good job.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
283 Posts
Insurance is adamant that a PDR shop can handle the 60-70 golf ball sized dents but the insurance inspector was co-located at an auto body shop and the guys there said you can't repair aluminum, needs a new hood etc. Any thoughts on PDR?

Also some of the damage is on the roof, are PDR shops good enough to remove interior lining and put it back without squeaks or rattles?

Also, don't know if this matters but I had my entire hood covered in a 3M clear bra, will that have to be removed to handle the dents? Thanks in advance.

Here's another also, I am in SF, if anyone has any PDR referrals that would also be appreciated.
I just went through two similar situations. My previous vehicle had about $7k worth of hail damage, insurance was very helpful throughout the process and supportive of all the supplemental estimates that were provided. They will attempt to repair all the dings, however in the case of a part like the hood with many dents, depending on the estimate the bodyshop may decide it is cheaper to just buy a new hood. In terms of the roof they can probably pull the dents, if not they can cut out the bad section and weld in a new one. Now my brand new 2015 sport (bought it early '16) was just involved in a collision with a deer. What I learned from this process is you MUST take your car to a Land Rover certified body shop. These new cars are aluminum so not just any shop can work on them. For Warranty purposes as well make sure you take it to one of these JLR certified facilities. Call around to various local dealers and see who is recommended the most. In my case it was fairly simple since there is only one in the State of Colorado. I'm sure NY has a few more.

·
SUPER MODERATOR
2010-2012 Range Rover Sport
1,986 Posts

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks all, found a certified shop via my LR dealer, over the phone they outright said they'd just replace the hood. Roof they need to see in person to determine what's the best approach.

·
Registered
161 Posts
I just went through two similar situations. My previous vehicle had about $7k worth of hail damage, insurance was very helpful throughout the process and supportive of all the supplemental estimates that were provided. They will attempt to repair all the dings, however in the case of a part like the hood with many dents, depending on the estimate the bodyshop may decide it is cheaper to just buy a new hood. In terms of the roof they can probably pull the dents, if not they can cut out the bad section and weld in a new one. Now my brand new 2015 sport (bought it early '16) was just involved in a collision with a deer. What I learned from this process is you MUST take your car to a Land Rover certified body shop. These new cars are aluminum so not just any shop can work on them. For Warranty purposes as well make sure you take it to one of these JLR certified facilities. Call around to various local dealers and see who is recommended the most. In my case it was fairly simple since there is only one in the State of Colorado. I'm sure NY has a few more.
+1 to all that. I had the same hail damage on my '11 Sport when it was a grand total of 12 days old :)crybaby2:) - an intense thunderstorm while in a National Park, with no place to hide and baseball sized hail. The adjuster did conclude, after talking to the JLR approved shop, that both the hood and roof panel (alum.) had too many dents, and were cheaper to replace and of course paint to match. All dents on the side panels were pulled out with the dent tools. Over $8000 damage; covered by insurance.

Also re. the OP's query about roof liners: the top roof panel on mine (assume new ones are similar) is a skin on a frame; they just remove the dented skin and seal in a new one using various adhesives. No alteration to the interior at all.

·
Registered
283 Posts
The certified shop where I took my car mentioned it cost him $250k to be a certified shop in terms of training and equipment. Apparently JLR is pretty serious about who they certify, which is good to know.

·
Registered
19 Posts

Sorry to hear, totally frustrating. I had this happen back in the 80's with a a brand new Trans Am I purchased. Got caught in a hail storm. They replaced my hood and trunk lid, and repaired the roof, fenders and doors. They said it was more cost effective to replace hood and trunk, rather than trying to repair the damage.

What insurance company are you using? I think I would tell them, it's going to an authorized LR dealer/body shop and they will take the correct course of action. Sometimes, ok most times, insurance companies fail to realize we are the customer, they're not. And as a customer, we should be telling them what we want, not the other way around.

Good luck and hope it works out for you.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I have GEICO and it turns out they were not even close in their estimate.

Just got the LR certified body shop quote and it's $19.5k!

Now just waiting on insurance approval.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts