RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK so I have a 1990 Rover with stock wheels. Right now they have the synchrones from the previous owner. They are in need of replacement. In my research I have found a few companies who offer 205 80 R16's since its an odd size. I have found some they call almost fit that are 225 75 R16's and also a Michelin XPC 4x4 235 70 R16. One thing that has not been clear to me is if the Wheels need replacing or if these sizes will fit on the stock wheels. Any help and info would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
94 Posts
I got Firestone Destination MTs in 215 85 on stock wheels. Highly recommended -- best tires ever for anything but sand floatation (they go for china). Minimal rub under max articulation (planning a 1" body lift).

·
FOUNDING MEMBER
382 Posts
All those and more are fine on the stock wheels. They are 7" wide so 235/85, 265/75, and 255/85 work fine on those wheels. The ones you list should work okay with no lift or trimming. 235/70 was stock fitment on Discovery Series I, on same size wheels. 225/75 is a common replacement. Both are of course wider than 205/80 but all three are about the same overall diameter.

·
Registered
334 Posts
nails said:
I got Firestone Destination MTs in 215 85 on stock wheels. Highly recommended -- best tires ever for anything but sand floatation (they go for china). Minimal rub under max articulation (planning a 1" body lift).
Good to know. I'd pretty much narrowed *my* new tyre choice down to this tyre and size.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the reply guys.. I have been doing some research to learn more about the tire numbers and sizes. although it can get somewhat confusing with the diameter and ratios. But hey, my rover has been one gigantic learning experience.

·
FOUNDING MEMBER
94 Posts
245/70-16s will work as well. You will find better options with the 225/75-16s

·
Registered
232 Posts
I have run mine on 205/80/16's, 225/75/16's and 235/70/16's - they all have virtually the same roolling radius so the vehicle is not over-geared.

I personally prefer the 235/70/16's - the same std size as fitted to discovery 1's and Discovery 2's. They look good, fill the arches nicely, are not too wide to cause shimmy or handling problems and are the right rolling radius to keep everything in spec and the vehicle drives as the manufactuere intended.

I would only fit larger diameter if I was using my vehicle solely off road.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Vogue said:
I would only fit larger diameter if I was using my vehicle solely off road.
The 215/85 did make the handling a little squirrelly when I had 2" lift springs. My first drive was on 2"lift springs and the tires had 55lbs pressure -- was white-knuckle on the freeway. But I went to "original" (pre-air) soft springs (which I think give the best off-road performance anyway). With stock height and proper (low) pressure, no problem.

Here's a size calculator: http://www.1010tires.com/tiresizecalculator.asp (I had to hit "calculator" to get it to load right). On my rover, 215/85 made the speedo more accurate than it was before.

I think rovers were designed for narrow tires, and soft springs for that matter. But it's okay with me if others don't. (oh god, am I doing tire wars and springs wars, all in one post?)

·
FOUNDING MEMBER
382 Posts
nails said:
Glad to hear that as the Firestone MT is one of very few MTs available in 245/75R16 in Load Range C, as well as E. Almost all the others are Load Range E only. If I do get those, I'll probably get light sipping down the middle. I'm not keen on having MTs that have no siping. There are siped MTs but none of which I'm aware that is available in Load Range C.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Granny said:
I'm not keen on having MTs that have no siping.
I've never noticed hydroplaning, if that's what you mean. The lugs are pretty deep. I've definitely nailed deep puddles on the highway.
To continue praise, I don't think these tires are noisy, and after 20K I expect to get 50K out of them.

--
Neal

1 - 11 of 11 Posts