RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking to upgrade my wheels on my '03 FFRR to the 20" factory 9 spoke supercharged wheels circa 2006-2009. A couple of the "takeoff" wheel and tire sets I'm seeing have Goodyear Eagle RSA 255/50/20 tires mounted on this wheel. Putting aside the negative opinions on this tire, the load rating concerns me. My current Michelins have a load rating of 109 XL which is 2,271 lbs per tire. At 104, the Goodyear RSA's are rated for 1,984 lbs per tire. While the math of that number x 4 exceeds the gross vehicle weight, I'm worried that forces in cornering may load more than an equal division on any one tire. Also, the max inflation is listed at 44psi for this tire which is the recommended pressure for maximum load. I've seen the Goodyear RSA's on several takeoff sets making me think that this was an OEM tire at some point for LR. I should mention that I do not tow anything.

Unfortunately, the best quality/price set of wheels I've found have the RSAs mounted on them with about 70% treadlife left. What do y'all think? Would I be jeopardizing safety to go down that much in load rating? What about ride quality? I'm obviously most concerned about safety.

Many thanks,
Cliff

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
This issue is now moot for me as I scored a set of stock 20" 9 spoke supercharged wheels mounted with the OEM Continental Cross Contacts: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&_rdc=1&item=140446711158&ru=http://shop.ebay.com:80/?_from=R40&_trksid=p4712.m570.l1313&_nkw=140446711158&_sacat=See-All-Categories&_fvi=1&viewitem= $1,350 for the set, and they are completely unused, basically brand new. `) The seller upgraded to 22" Overfinch wheels before his Rover ever left the showroom, and he made them include the stock wheels/tires in case he didn't like the ride of the Overfinches. The trick was his auction was only offering local pickup in Burbank, CA, and I am in Mississippi. But I found a great courier/shipping service in Burbank willing to pick them up and ship to me for a very nominal fee.

I have run my Syncrones almost bald (not quite that bad but getting close), and I was looking at $1,200 just for new tires on 8 year old wheels. For a few hundered bucks more, I got 4 brand new Supercharged wheels!

-Cliff

1 - 2 of 2 Posts