RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Many memories have been shared with my beloved P38 however I am looking for a younger lover in the form of a 2003 L322 Vogue.
I see this as the logical upgrade from the P38 as I have ruled out Disco 3's given the price and features vs. a used Vogue.

Am I making the right move guys?
LR for life!

·
Registered
1,758 Posts
I find the look of the new rangie very appealing. Somehow it seems a little less top heavy than the P38 which looks less top heavy than the classic. The tall side windows do exact a toll on proportions IMHO. I know my wife wants a white on white '05 but it would be out of range realistically and with the newer features in air struts/steering rack and whatever else I think the parts are a fair bit more. I'm sure you will enjoy it and it seems like the motors will run a fair distance also. I hope we can have one at least before they are outlawed on environmental grounds :(

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
1,365 Posts
I drove a very nice one yesterday, a I'm in the same spot, needing to find a new RR.

Quieter, smoother, faster, super dash (nice and clean and simple). Doors close nicely, no body rattle.

Excellent ride, car didn't wander at all! Direct steering. Easier to drive.

Apparently, longer service intervals a la BMW, BUT spares VERY costly indeed. eg, you can't just change an air bag but have to purchase part of the suspension with it ..... an alternator cannot be repaired but must be changed as a complete unit at a high cost.

My conclusion, AND MONEY DOES COME INTO IT, was to stay with a late P38 Vogue and continue fiddling myself with it. (I don't do major stuff, but feel I really know the vehicle and how to GET it repaired economically).

HTH - I'll be following this thread to see what folks think.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well I saw the truck today and yes, I was impressed. A very classy unit indeed.

I couldn't fault anything except that it took a hell of a long time for the EAS to rise from regular to 'high'.
It went up quick from 'access mode' to 'medium' but from 'medium' to 'high' was SLOW. It was a very gradual but constant rise...by the millimeter...hardly moving - took probably 30 seconds to finally raise to 'high'.

Should I be worried that the compressor is on it's way out or there is a leak?

The mention of part$ have made me shiver :think:

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
1,365 Posts
Not an easy one.

The newer model might be a better prospect long term?

Everything was telling me to stick with a P38 .............. the only thing I don't like about the P38 is the harsh ride. And the sloppy steering. And the body roll. And the bloody rattles!

(I know, that is more than one thing!).

·
Premium Member
1,802 Posts
zem said:
Well I saw the truck today and yes, I was impressed. A very classy unit indeed.

I couldn't fault anything except that it took a hell of a long time for the EAS to rise from regular to 'high'.
It went up quick from 'access mode' to 'medium' but from 'medium' to 'high' was SLOW. It was a very gradual but constant rise...by the millimeter...hardly moving - took probably 30 seconds to finally raise to 'high'.

Should I be worried that the compressor is on it's way out or there is a leak?

The mention of part$ have made me shiver :think:
I think that means that the springs are perished in the upper sections. As the vehicle extends the bags unfurl and become "leaky". In time this will wear out the compressor.
The L322 has an integrated air bag spring and shock, they cost a few quid.

If you otherwise like that particular vehicle then go back, extend the suspension, shine a torch underneath, show the seller an airspring that looks like a pensioner's face and bargain hard.
Aim to get the cost of four springs, and a compressor rebuild kit off the asking price.

·
Registered
640 Posts
Tim (Scotland) said:
The L322 has an integrated air bag spring and shock, they cost a few quid.
Yeah like 600 quid each from L/R for the Fronts.

Cheers

1 - 7 of 7 Posts