RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I thought I'd say thank you to all the contributors at this site for all the valuable information I've learned over the years. I bought my 1998 P38a in 2001. With the help here, i've replaced my heater core o rings, air springs (arnott), hoses, door latches, rear windshield washer hose and many miscellaneous little things.

Unfortunately I had a slipped liner that would cause the car to overheat in heavy traffic, climbs and hot days. I've been driving it once a week on a 50 mile round trip for the last 18 months in this condition and it did just fine. I also have many other problems:

Headliner has peeled off
Brake accumulator is done
Brakes are shot
Checkbook symbol is on
EAS is broken - flashes like a XMAS tree
passenger electric seat is broken
heated seats are broken
sunroof is broken

I took it to British Car Service 18 months ago, and they said it needed at least $13k in repairs (new engine to start with) - just not worth it. They advised me to drive it into the ground.

And then Cash for Clunkers came! I signed up, the rover is crushed and I used the $4500 credit towards a Prius for my girlfriend. I don't use a car at all during the week. It was really sad driving the car to the dealer to turn it in, that rover has been with me for 8 years. 95 degrees out, rush hour traffic in the Valley on the 405, heater on full blast, radiator gauge in the red with the light on - that's the way to go!

So , thanks again for all the tips, tricks and good reads over the years.

·
Registered
226 Posts
I have a 1990 Volvo on the list, I almost sold it twice for a couple hundered bucks, now it's worth $3500 or $4500 or maybe even $6000 if I buy a new Volvo, gotta love that customer loyalty.

·
Premium Member
2010-2012 Range Rover MkIII / L322
4,635 Posts
Tim (Scotland) said:
viperover said:
CRUSHED, you kidding right.......$13k to fix, that sounds over the top to me
Quotes like that are why Rover Renovations and West Somerset Land Rover exist.
Who are the distributors for Rover V8's in the US? Just ask them how much a new engine is. Doesn't V8Developments have a distributor? :think:

Don't go the dealer route anyway. All you'll get is a standard, non top hat linered engine and be back at square one after another 60k miles.

And I'm not even sure that LR have any Rover V8's in the warehouse anymore which is a bit of a worry and may explain why the price was so high. BTW, I still have an old invoice from the previous owner for GBP4k, just for parts when the last engine went bang and I thought that was excessive...

·
Registered
219 Posts
You could have parted it out and received more $.

·
Registered
219 Posts
13,000 sounds about right if you include all the other stuff he mentioned.

It sounds as if this truck was not maintained by the previous owner.

I have a 1996 4.0 that I droped in a 4.6 short block and it runs like it did on day one new.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts