RangeRovers.net Forum banner

61 - 80 of 136 Posts

·
LIFETIME CONTRIBUTOR
11,013 Posts
texas911 said:
Interior is a deal maker for me, I might be headed back to the RRS in the near future, that is if I can resist that digital display on the FFRR!
I wonder how long it's going to take before that entire 12" TFT display on the Range Rover goes dark all of a sudden and you have no idea how fast you're going, how hard you're revving, how much gas you've got left in the tank, etc. :wink: They are really pushing the technology envelope on the FFRR (the dual view touchscreen sounds even more amazing, too bad it won't make it to North America), if it was Lexus OK, but Europeans usually need to take a couple of stabs at this high tech stuff before they get it right.

·
LIFETIME CONTRIBUTOR
11,013 Posts
Chart with more engine / brakes / tranny / weights and dimensions / acceleration and torque specs. Looks like we are all going to get a new ZF tranny as well (except the carryover TDV8), although it's still a 6 speed.

That new 3-liter twin turbodiesel 6 hauls some serious butt! Too bad we still can't get it here in North America. It's just as peppy as the outgoing 4.4 liter gasoline engine, with huge torque and 50% better mileage.

Attachments

·
Registered
522 Posts
My parents have an MB S63 with that same display, hopefully its the same manufacturer so it won't be the first time its used. Its pretty slick the way it can show an analog display and then superimpose info on top when needed. And it doubles a the display for the useless infrared camera.

·
SUPER MODERATOR
4,454 Posts
Leo said:
There is no compromise to the off-road ability in the new ones - if anything, the suspension has been beefed up. You can download tech details from the media site posted earlier. :thumb: The better handling comes from new adaptive dampers and updated Dynamic Response.
Hi Leo, Thanks for the reply. Do you know this for a fact based on a review of the tech details mentioned above, is there anything specific mentioned about beefier suspension components?

Cheers.

·
SUPER MODERATOR
4,454 Posts
Drevs said:
This is all very glorious. With any luck, they won't make an orange one and the temptation will pass. :)
Nothing can replace the original Vesuvius, unless they come up with a Mt. St. Helens Grey or an Aetna Ash! :D

·
Registered
32 Posts
After reading all the posts on the 2010, I've decided I'm staying with the 2009 model. Maybe switch to the upgraded Sport in 3-4 years. I hear that is when the major changes are coming. I noticed on the 2010 model that the LR oval logo on the tailgate is gone! The only oval on the 2010 model is in the grill. I guess that annoys me because I love that green oval on the HSE model (and hate the black oval on the SC model).

·
Registered
22 Posts
so is this the full redo or will there still be a newer version in a few years? i don't know what land rover calls it, but is this considered a facelift or full new generation?

·
LIFETIME CONTRIBUTOR
11,013 Posts
Nooro said:
Any chance this bad boy is coming with a backup camera?
Yes, that and a lot more. We are going from zero to five cameras! Judging by the preliminary description released by Land Rover, if you pull a trailer you should love the new system (also available on 2010 LR4 and FFRR):

A new surround camera system supports easier parking and towing. It
features five digital cameras which relay a near 360-degree view to the touchscreen
display. The cameras function immediately the vehicle is started, and
can be used at speeds up to 11mph, with options for selecting and zooming in
to assist with close quarter parking and with towing.

The patented reverse tow assist and tow hitch assist functions (selected from
the touch screen menu) help perform accurate towing maneuvers. The wide
fields of vision on the side cameras give a clear view of the reversing trailer
and the images are electronically manipulated to provide an undistorted view.
Guide lines overlaid on the rear camera image illustrate both the vehicle and
trailer’s trajectory and these move in line with steering inputs, making it easier
for the driver to predict where the trailer will move to, before performing the
reversing maneuver.

Specific characteristics such as type of trailer, number of axles and width
guides can be fed into the system to enhance the system outputs.

·
LIFETIME CONTRIBUTOR
11,013 Posts
Phil07_RRS said:
so is this the full redo or will there still be a newer version in a few years? i don't know what land rover calls it, but is this considered a facelift or full new generation?
Usually a new generation model entails a whole new chassis/frame, so the 2010 RRS would have to be considered a midlife facelift of the current generation (including the LR3, same chassis. Strangely enough, Land Rover decided to rename the Disco/LR3 and call it Disco/LR4 for the 2010 model year, to make it "sound" like a new car, although it really isn't.) The next gen is still a few years away - some say 2013 - and will hopefully be designed with materials that will make it substantially lighter than the current one.

·
Premium Member
1,245 Posts
umbertob said:
One bad thing about these new gee-whiz, 15K-mile service interval engines (assuming it's the same exact block found in the new Jaguars): No oil dipstick or drain plug. To check the oil level you rely on an electronic meter in the instrument cluster, hopefully it works... :? And forget about changing your own oil - dealer needs to suction the old one from up above, probably using a proprietary machine that you and your local lube shop don't have or can't afford. Yet another way to make our network of honest, dependable and efficient authorized dealers more indispensable in our lives, during and after warranty. :evil:
About the oils Change - I'm sure there is a drain plug at the bottom of the oil pan. The MB dealers do the suction method too – through the filler tube. You can buy a tool from Home depot that attaches to a drill that acts as a pump to suck out the oil. The oil level sensor is pretty good on the MB - not sure about being on a LR yet. The suction method is used at most dealers since it’s much faster and less time consuming.

I've attached 2 magnets to the bottom of my oil pan, Trans and engine. This helps catch any metal that may come off due to wear and not circulate through the engine. Some Oils pans already have a magnet - just better to add another. Think about a MB – their transmission on the E-Class was sealed - stating initially that if was an LTF fluid. Now they recommend replacing it every 50 K. Hopefully LR does not call it a LTF fluid too - else we are stuck replacing it at our own cost. I know it’s not an oil forum – just adding my 2 cents worth

RossoCorsaItaly said:
Safest thing to do IMO is just to get an oil change every 5k miles. The damage caused by too much or not enough oil is not something I want to deal with or stress out about.
About doing an OC every 5k - it’s not worth it. By the time the oil additives are activated by heat usually after about 1-2 k miles, to do another OC, you are doing more damage than good. I ran tests on my oil after 7500 miles and there is a lot of additive well and still could hold up for at least another 2500 miles. I don’t use the oil from the dealer – I take my own oil – I take the castrol Syntec – a true synthetic – and insure it’s the made in Germany version not USA due to the basestock

Not sure why anyone would be ready to buy a 1st generation upgrade of the engine. As it is there are issues being fixed on the current engine. I would say wait about 1.5-2 years to get their bugs fixed. By the time the guys at TATA finish scratching their turbans on their new purchase and engineering issues – could be a while

Hopefully on the digital displays - they have a back-up \ fail over system that gives the minimal amount of data

Does anyone know if the lift gate is now powered and can be open or closed from the key or inside. Also do they have the assisted door closing

Anthing to address the wind & noise – use of the same type of “double pane” type glass on the FFRR

·
Registered
22 Posts
umbertob said:
Usually a new generation model entails a whole new chassis/frame, so the 2010 RRS would have to be considered a midlife facelift of the current generation (including the LR3, same chassis. Strangely enough, Land Rover decided to rename the Disco/LR3 and call it Disco/LR4 for the 2010 model year, to make it "sound" like a new car, although it really isn't.) The next gen is still a few years away - some say 2013 - and will hopefully be designed with materials that will make it substantially lighter than the current one.
thanks a lot for clearing that up :thumb: i love my 07, but could do with the improved interior and the radio / nav.

·
Premium Member
5,175 Posts
Still no "Urban" setting for the "slammed" look on the terrain selector knob? :crybaby2:

61 - 80 of 136 Posts
About this Discussion
135 Replies
40 Participants
umbertob
RangeRovers.net Forum
We’re a community forum to discuss and assist on issues with every Range Rover model. Sign up if you have a question, answer or to meet like minded individuals
Full Forum Listing