RangeRovers.net Forum banner

41 - 60 of 136 Posts

·
Registered
221 Posts
In the video posted above, is that underbody protection from the factory (under the front bumper), or silver coloured plastic?

TripleE - did you watch the whole thing? the bit after 4min is ok.

·
Premium Member
5,175 Posts
The wheels look easier to clean :thumb:

No mention of the Tandoor oven option???

I always hold off buying the new iteration of a vehicle. I think you stand a better chance of trouble free ownership if you purchase one farther into the model cycle.

·
LIFETIME CONTRIBUTOR
11,013 Posts
One bad thing about these new gee-whiz, 15K-mile service interval engines (assuming it's the same exact block found in the new Jaguars): No oil dipstick or drain plug. To check the oil level you rely on an electronic meter in the instrument cluster, hopefully it works... :? And forget about changing your own oil - dealer needs to suction the old one from up above, probably using a proprietary machine that you and your local lube shop don't have or can't afford. Yet another way to make our network of honest, dependable and efficient authorized dealers more indispensable in our lives, during and after warranty. :evil:

·
Premium Member
5,175 Posts
umbertob said:
One bad thing about these new gee-whiz, 15K-mile service interval engines (assuming it's the same exact block found in the new Jaguars): No oil dipstick or drain plug. To check the oil level you rely on an electronic meter in the instrument cluster, hopefully it works... :? And forget about changing your own oil - dealer needs to suction the old one from up above, probably using a proprietary machine that you and your local lube shop don't have or can't afford. Yet another way to make our network of honest, dependable and efficient authorized dealers more indispensable in our lives, during and after warranty. :evil:
Oh crap. Just like the X5 in which I have heard some of the senders are going bad indicating you need to add oil so the owner adds oil and overfills the engine by a quart or two. Also, there are cases of senders drifting and having to be recalibrated, at the dealership of course.

·
Registered
131 Posts
gooseyloosey said:
umbertob said:
Oh crap. Just like the X5 in which I have heard some of the senders are going bad indicating you need to add oil so the owner adds oil and overfills the engine by a quart or two. Also, there are cases of senders drifting and having to be recalibrated, at the dealership of course.
Safest thing to do IMO is just to get an oil change every 5k miles. The damage caused by too much or not enough oil is not something I want to deal with or stress out about.

·
SUPER MODERATOR
4,454 Posts
umbertob said:
To check the oil level you rely on an electronic meter in the instrument cluster, hopefully it works... :?
This is the way the Porsches are...it's a bit of a novelty item, but actually quite nice, since every time you get in the car, it tells you the oil level, somewhat like tire pressure.

Of course, if you park on a slant...well, the reading is off, so all you guys in San Francisco are hosed - I can just see the soccer Moms going to the dealership every morning, why does my oil show I'm empty! Dealer - hhmm, sorry, canot replicate what customer says! :D :D

·
LIFETIME CONTRIBUTOR
11,013 Posts
OK, I feel a bit sorry for the poor dipstick, 80+ years of reliable service and now dumped without celebrations and replaced by a soulless sensor. But was the drain plug really so problematic on previous engines that they had no choice but to eliminate it? What's the guy living in the hole at Jiffy Lube going to do for a living now? It's a conspiracy, I tell you.

Another trend that worries me (not so much the dub crowd, I guess), is the ever-growing brakes. The "bigger and better brakes" on these new babies may or may not turn out to be better, but they sure are big. Off-road enthusiasts may have trouble fitting 18" or even 19" wheels over those big suckers when the 2010s come out, unless LR managed to compensate by building real skinny calipers somehow. We'll see, but based on the specs provided by Land Rover it doesn't look good. Current front discs on a regular, 2006-2009 4.4 liter engine RRS are 13.5" in diameter, on a Brembo equipped S/C they are 14.1". If the initial specs released for the 2010s turn out to be accurate, the new normally aspirated 5-liter engine will have 14.2" dia. front discs, the S/C version 15". I know how much clearance I have between brakes and 18" alloy on my RRS, not much. The other day a lazy technician double stacked some stick-on balancing weights on the inner surface of one of my front wheels when I bought a new set of Coopers, and the weights started rubbing loudly against the caliper as I drove away. He had to redo the balance. :(

·
Premium Member
5,175 Posts
That does it, I vote to change the title of this thread to "Bad news (was: good news (was: Bad news))on the 2010 RRS."

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #51
No worries on the title. It was a bad call by me! I worked off bad insider info from my dealer!

·
SUPER MODERATOR
4,454 Posts
umbertob said:
What's the guy living in the hole at Jiffy Lube going to do for a living now? It's a conspiracy, I tell you.

Another trend that worries me (not so much the dub crowd, I guess), is the ever-growing brakes.
Too funny...agreed on the brakes issue, are those the same specs on the LR4 too? If so, even that hardy vehicle will have a hard time going offroad without good rubber underneath, or maybe the assumption is that newer buyers won't ever venture off the tarmac at all, but what about all of those potholes in places like Chicago.

Any news on what they have done with the suspension or control arms, a-frames etc..

Personally, I'm holding out for the TDV8 to make it over here and put it into my 2006...

I do like all the gadgets, gizmos, and interior, it's nicely spruced up, also glad to see that they have reintroduced blue back into the color line up. :D :D

·
Registered
61 Posts
The interior looks great. My dealer had some pictures of the interior only prior to the NY Auto Show. Outside looks like the Range Rover.
The dealer was told by Land Rover that the design group for Range Rover Sport was told to make the Sport a better road car since a very a small precentage of US owners take the car off road.
We do not know yet, but it looks like most of the changes is doing just that, making the Sport SC a high performance SUV to compete with the Porsche Turbo SUV.
It will be interesting to see if the typical Land Rover crowd is the buyer.

·
Registered
221 Posts
If you look at this picture, it seems the calipers are less bulky than before, so hopefully fitting smaller wheels shouldn't be an issue. It's good to see the promo videos have footage of all models doing some off-roading.

·
SUPER MODERATOR
4,454 Posts
DrewT55 said:
...Range Rover Sport was told to make the Sport a better road car since a very a small precentage of US owners take the car off road.
That's precisely what concerns me, especially if they end up weakening or lightening up the suspension areas and all related parts which are needed for hard offroad activity, but then again if it becomes more of a street car, and less of an all around SUV, hopefully other manufacturers start building after market parts to strengthen these weaker areas.

·
Registered
269 Posts
They indicated that the LR4 calipers would be 2-piston, and I believe floating, so not the same fixed 4-piston Brembos on the SC models. Those new 4-piston calipers are on the FFRR are sweet !!

·
Registered
221 Posts
PJPR01 said:
That's precisely what concerns me, especially if they end up weakening or lightening up the suspension areas and all related parts which are needed for hard offroad activity, ........
There is no compromise to the off-road ability in the new ones - if anything, the suspension has been beefed up. You can download tech details from the media site posted earlier. :thumb:

The better handling comes from new adaptive dampers and updated Dynamic Response.

·
Registered
522 Posts
Interior is a deal maker for me, I might be headed back to the RRS in the near future, that is if I can resist that digital display on the FFRR!

41 - 60 of 136 Posts
About this Discussion
135 Replies
40 Participants
umbertob
RangeRovers.net Forum
We’re a community forum to discuss and assist on issues with every Range Rover model. Sign up if you have a question, answer or to meet like minded individuals
Full Forum Listing