RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good idea to use 85w140 oil to reduce noise on my noisy front differential ?

the front differential in my 2007 RRS hse with 60k miles been making some noise since i bought the car with 50k miles
somebody can confirm that the noise can be reduced if i change the fluid with Lucas Heavy Duty High Performance 85w140 gear oil ??

·
Registered
655 Posts
Re: Good idea to use 85w140 oil to reduce noise on my noisy front differential ?

Sorry dude. Been there done that. Google lucky8 llc or lucky 7 llc or call unitrax in the city of orange ca, and get a rebuilt differential for 800 bucks and have it installed. They all blow! Deal with sport ownership, Range Rover f'ed us. My route is the cheapest. Usually install is another 4-600 bucks.

Go to the dealership pull your pants down and bend over for 3-4000 bucks if you like keeping dealers kids in private school.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Re: Good idea to use 85w140 oil to reduce noise on my noisy front differential ?

thanks for thew reply, i changed the oil today with Lucas 85w140 gear oil, and now 90% of the noise/grinding is gone (so much better)
the old oil was muddy (the worse i ever seen), and the magnet was full of metal

i dont know how long the differential gonna last, but from now on im gonna change the fluid everytime i change the engine oil

·
SUPER MODERATOR
2006-2009 Range Rover Sport
4,468 Posts

No need for that...changing diff fluids every 30K is good enough.

·
Registered
2006-2009 Range Rover Sport
2 Posts
Hi

I have a similar noise problem. Range Rover sport 2007 and driven 99 000 miles. So You manage to reduce the noise with oil. Has it been working ?

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
yes with the thicker oil 90% of the noise/grinding will be gone

20k miles later mine is still working
make sure before you change the oil go in the highway for at least for 10 miles so the oil gets hot and drain better

everywhere in the internet pople say that thicker oil offer better protection for limited slip diffrential
Hi

I have a similar noise problem. Range Rover sport 2007 and driven 99 000 miles. So You manage to reduce the noise with oil. Has it been working ?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts