RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys, so I went to get some rims for my range rover sport, and went to a place where they had 4 rims for 400$ cash ,

the shop told me i can take the whole car for $10,000 its a 2006 4.2 s/c, , it starts up, only the driver airbag deployed and everything otherwise works

let me know what you guys think

·
Premium Member
1,739 Posts
Tell 'em you'll do $5K. Would be a fun urban assault vehicle project! Retrofit one of those tough looking ARB bumpers for the front and go to town.

·
Premium Member
2006-2009 Range Rover MkIII / L322
305 Posts
Jump on it... assuming you have an excellent 3rd party LR person to help you (if you're not so mechanically inclined).

The engine bay looks intact, but get a pro to go with you and bargain down to $9----.

Great deal. Selling all the parts would get you more than $10k, so...

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
they wanted 13,000 at first but they said 10 right after, ill go this weekend and try and get it down lower even if not I think ill still take it :thumb:

·
SUPER MODERATOR
2006-2009 Range Rover Sport
4,469 Posts
Willing to buy the air compressor for $250...just to have a spare...and maybe a few other parts.

I'm a sucker for having spares lying around...

·
Premium Member
1,169 Posts
hijack on

speaking of spares, someone in an LR3 thread mentioned how some parts are exactly the same as on fords and often times cheaper. this makes a lot of sense since the LR3 was developed while LR was at ford. they noted air compressor is one such item. the shocks are the same from the expedition w/ air suspension. others noted how LR dealers may end up sourcing the part from ford.

hijack off

·
Premium Member
5,175 Posts
Be careful. If you buy the whole car make sure these guys have clear title, salvage or otherwise. If the title is salvage and not knowing all the details of the damage, I would guess from the photo there is maybe $8-10K of damage, and that would make me wonder why the insurance company would let this get totaled. Do a bit of detective work.

Usually, if the insurance company owns the car they automatically send it to someone like Copart for an auction where maybe these guys picked it up for parts. Ask them how they got it.

·
Registered
2010-2012 Range Rover MkIII / L322
670 Posts
gooseyloosey said:
Be careful. If you buy the whole car make sure these guys have clear title, salvage or otherwise. If the title is salvage and not knowing all the details of the damage, I would guess from the photo there is maybe $8-10K of damage, and that would make me wonder why the insurance company would let this get totaled. Do a bit of detective work.

Usually, if the insurance company owns the car they automatically send it to someone like Copart for an auction where maybe these guys picked it up for parts. Ask them how they got it.
Could not have said it better me-self lad.

·
SUPER MODERATOR
4,469 Posts
phil. said:
hijack on

speaking of spares, someone in an LR3 thread mentioned how some parts are exactly the same as on fords and often times cheaper. this makes a lot of sense since the LR3 was developed while LR was at ford. they noted air compressor is one such item. the shocks are the same from the expedition w/ air suspension. others noted how LR dealers may end up sourcing the part from ford.

hijack off
Great info there Phil - where can one find such a list of "shared" parts? If they're that cheap, it might even be fun to mount a spare one along the frame/engine compartment just to see if it would be useful for airing tires up/down.

·
Premium Member
1,169 Posts
it's all speculation right now and someone already suggested compiling a list. here's the thread.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
so i bought the car, got it checked it out and it can be repaired and put back on the road. Paid 8,000.00 Canadian $

this yard had numerous land rovers but sadly the other few sports all had front end damage, but they are looking to get me parts from another yard for the repair on a range rover that had rear end damage

spoke to my friend who owns a auto repair shop and had him come take a look at it and he said he would do it no problem all i have to do now is pay for the parts and paint :mrgreen:

·
Premium Member
5,175 Posts
Mlochab, this will be an interesting thread.

And congrats, looks like you got a good deal if you have someone who can fix it and the damage is limited as shown.

Any idea why the insurance company let this go for CDN$8K?

Keep us posted on the progress w pictures and cost please!

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
im not sure why they would let it go at the price but my friend and i inspected it for a while and could not see anything else wrong, starts up, air suspension works fine, in the dash only warning light is the airbag light. ill post pics once we have it in our possession, and once its fixed up, but that might not be for a little while since my friend and I are working on it during the free time but hopefully within 1-2 months its ready. but untill then i got my range rover so i cant complain :thumb:

·
Premium Member
1,739 Posts
Awesome.... I'd love a cheap project car like that. Paint it desert camo and get a machine gun rack in the back. :dance:

·
Premium Member
5,175 Posts
Now you just have to get on the Copart or LKQ site (or whatever the Candian version of those is) and find one for $3K that's been bashed in at the other end. :thumb:

·
Premium Member
1,254 Posts
Even though the front end is where most of the visible damage is, you need to ensure rest of the frame is not damaged. If there is damage further along the side panels, that means the structure has absorbed the impact causing the panels to bend, like an accordion. This could mean more work for you, just by straitening the frame does not ensure you have the same rigidity as the original body frame lessening the safety of the vehicle in another accident.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts