RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,
I have decided to tackle replacing my sagging headliner myself....I figure if I screw it up I can always take it to a shop, right? My question is: Should I have the sunroof opened or closed during the removal/replacement of headliner backing board?

Here are the instructions from the repair section of Rangerrovers.net

Replacement with New Headliner (Classic)

The new factory headliner can be obtained for about $238 complete from Headliner Express, or you can get the headliner material from other sources and do a bit more work yourself. For example, Kevin found the Headliner Mart at 408-978-5103 in California has headliner material for all model Range Rovers for about $120 several years ago (prices may have increased by now). For those in the LA area, Romero's Custom Upholstery, on Atlantic Ave. in Lynwood have the headliner fabric for approximately $7.50 per yard. Replacement takes about 3 hours plus the time needed to do the sunroof.

Removal: First remove the grab handles by prying up covers at each end and removing four screws in each handle. Remove sun visors. Remove two push-in type panel retainer buttons on each side of headliner near the rear of the vehicle. Remove rear finisher panel on earlier models. (Also on 1988 and earlier models, you need to remove the rear view mirror which is mounted to the ceiling and helps hold the headliner up. Gant Redmon found that to get it off, you have to twist the arm holding the mirror either clockwise or counterclockwise. Using a spray lubricant makes the job easier. It pops off and exposes the base that is screwed into the ceiling. Remove the two screws and release the base and the job is done.) Remove front and rear interior lights. Remove press on wind lace trim from around sunroof opening. Remove small metal clips holding headliner to metal lip around sunroof. Make special note of the way in which this join is made. It will be the most difficult part of the reinstallation process. Using a wide putty knife gradually work the headliner shell down from the roof on one side. Remove spare tire. Open rear hatch and tail gate. Remove entire shell through the rear of the vehicle. You may have to bend the shell slightly to get it out, but exercise care not to kink or crease it. Strip off old headliner from the shell, and using a wire brush remove all old foam rubber.

Replacement: Lay new headliner on shell and line it up. Fold half of headliner over on the other half lengthwise. Spray shell and exposed portion of liner with 3M 8090 adhesive. Immediately fold headliner over onto sprayed section and press in place. The most difficult part is getting the headliner down into the depressions in the shell made for the sun visors, etc., so do this part first, starting at the front of the shell. Do not cut out the hole for the sunroof at this point! Repeat process for other half. Turn shell over and glue down folded over material on shell edges. From the top side slip a nail or other sharp object through the screw holes for the sun visors and center retainer as well as for the grab handles. Turn shell over and mark these points on headliner with chalk. It will make it much easier to reinstall these items. Reinstall shell, grab handles, sun visors, etc. Working from the top and using a sharp razor blade, cut out the hole for the sunroof, leaving an excess of about three inches all the way around. Using great care, spray glue on edge of opening and stretch material up to fold over metal lip. Do this in small segments all the way around. Replace the press on trim and cut off excess material from above. You may see dents or depressions in the headliner caused by your fingers having compressed the foam backing. These will gradually disappear over a period of weeks
Any suggestions or lessons learned will be geatly appreciated!

cheers,
Leila
1995 Classic LWB aka "The Duchess"

·
Registered
1970-1995 Range Rover Classic
39 Posts
Re: Going to tackle the headliner replacement, have a question

Ha!!!

I am doing the same exact operation this week.

Headliner removed day before yesterday.

Sunroof closed -- don't think it matters.

Its now in my garage, pending financing of new headliner material.

Good luck,

--ccec

·
Premium Member
1,248 Posts

I scrapped my headliner clean and painted it with a rattle can. It looks as good as factory if not better and will never fall down again.

If you just do the change with a fresh fabric be careful with the sunroof its a total pain in the rearend.

·
Registered
38 Posts

I'm with the Doctor. I scrapped the cloth headlining and painted the liner. To me it looks fine and what passenger ever gazes at the roof? As the good Doctor says, it won't ever sag again! Also, if it gets dirty all you need to do is retouch!

·
Registered
115 Posts

Is the headliner glued or attached someway around the sunroof? I tried to pull mine off a while ago and thought I would mess it up somehow and never continued with it. I like the rattle can idea and might do that next week.

·
Premium Member
1,248 Posts

It should be a clamp style trim with the fuzz over it, may be a bitch to get started. The spray paint is a easy fix, cheap. But doing your headliner yourself isnt hard and you can do sude or whatever floats your boat.

·
Registered
38 Posts

Yeah, BUT I did try regluing the headliner, using spray carpet glue and found that when the temperature got high in the car ( standing in the sun) the glue went soft and the headliner sagged again! So that's why I went over to just painting the liner. I used domestic emulsion paint ( in a very fetching shade!) No one I have had on board has even commented.

The trim round the sunroof should just peel off and mine went back really easily.

·
Registered
345 Posts

If you want your car to look nice you can redo liner as described , ive also seen them done over in vinyl . I bought fabric at auto detailing supply shop for $40 and two cons of headliner spray glue for $25 each.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts