RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1970-1995 Range Rover Classic
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

Can't seem to kick the rover hobby. A buddy and I have fixed up a few rovers: we've done 2 classics, 2 LR3s and he now owns a nice LR4. Along the way we've managed to not completely bankrupt ourselves and have learned a ton about these trucks.

I'm going to look at a '05 Range this weekend that I found on craigslist. According to the seller, it has VANOS issues (that seem pretty common with a search on here), but still runs and drives. It does have the HSE package. I know nothing else about the truck aside from a few pictures on the ad that show a straight body and clean interior.

Couple of questions for you all:

• What model specific quirks should I be looking for when I inspect the truck? Obviously I'll look over the frame for any serious rot, and if it's anything like the LR3s, I'll check the control arm bushings too. Air suspension is on the list, as is the HVAC system. I live in MA if that's helpful, and it's likely this thing has seen some salty air/beach time.
  • Is it possible for a couple of shade tree mechanics to repair the VANOS system? We have already performed a full engine-out rebuild on one of the classics, and we have a nice heated garage with access to air tools over the winter, so we aren't total rookies, but we are not professional mechanics.
  • What would the VANOS repair cost? I can see there seems to be some range of issues, ranging from refreshing the seals to full on changing the pump.
  • Assuming best case this VANOS issue is the only significant problem with it, is $1.9K a low price for the truck? Is it possible to fix it and sell it for a little more?

Thanks!

·
Registered
2006-2009 Range Rover MkIII / L322
13 Posts
Hey there! I know you didn’t ask for this specifically BUT...Depending on how serious you are (about not being able to kick the habit), I recommend to my buddies that they buy an iLand and fiddle with how to use it before they go look at a Rover. I used and lent mine several times this year. By doing so, was able to detect problems and quickly research what the cost was. In one case the fix was as easy as a wire splice.

They retail new for 399 and can be used over and over and over and Rover! Not just helpful when buying the vehicle, but also when you’re Overland and need to clear a fault or fiddle with ride height.

Anyway, that’s my add to this. Good luck with the search and hope this 05 is a creampuff other than the Vanos.

-db

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
Depending on its overall condition and you don't have a wife who would divorce you for stripping it down in the driveway you could sell the parts for more than $1900. The tranny alone would bring half of that assuming its in good shape.

·
Premium Member
1,308 Posts
If it has a ton of clattering when running, it’s going to be the timing chain guides. VANOS, when failing, will show itself by a loud Diesel engine sound. Think of a Humvee engine..

VANOS rebuild can be done for under $300,
I’m guessing it needs timing chain guides. You’re looking at $800 worth of (good quality) parts, and you will need the timing tools for whichever job you will do.

Plus side to this engine, it’s a BMW sourced unit. Parts are pretty inexpensive for it, and lots of BMW tuning places like eEuroParts, FCPeuro, Pelican Parts, and ECS Tuning carry cheap parts.

Look up Beisan Systems M62tu VANOS repair.

For a 2005, you can do things on the cheap by buying a PA Soft 1.4 tool from Amazon. It’s pretty difficult to get working, but works with most of the Rover’s computers for $25. Only works on 2003-2005 L322s though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Got it, thanks for the tips guys!

Keralis- on the VANOS rebuild and the timing chain guide. Is it possible that both these repairs will need to be completed? Can I do both at the same time, or is there a preferred order (i.e. repair one, see if the noise stops, then do the other)?

·
Registered
2002-2005 Range Rover MkIII / L322
274 Posts
Hey Boston,
If it's a black one, I may save you a trip - it needs timing guides/chains and a host of other issues, on top of VANOS. It's been sitting for a very long time, due to seller initially asking $5k for a non-running vehicle, and will require more work than it's worth, IMHO. It would make sense as a parts vehicle or if the seller dropped the price significantly, but not at the current asking price.
Again, this is just my opinion.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ah ha! Thanks Dlimanov - seems someone has been there before me :)

Yep that's the truck. Thanks for the tip, it DID seem a little "too good to be true."

·
Registered
274 Posts
Yeah, it's a $1k truck at best, but the seller is somewhat delusional in what he feels the value is. He also wasn't the most pleasant person to deal with, so that was the end of that conversation.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Another reason why this Board/Forum is so valuable. Saved this guy a trip to deal with some jackoff that thinks he has something that's more valuable than it really is. I know guys like this and doing car deals with them is never a pleasant experience. Nice job teammates....

·
Registered
64 Posts
Take a look on the rear wiper motor. When you put the key, the rear wiper should moves... try to activate rear washers.
If the rear wiper doesnt move and no water coming out. You Need to replace the motor o refurbish it. Common fail.

Push up the dash cup holder, its expensive to buy. It will be better if its ok.

Review the battery tray, take a look if it has rust. If it has corrosion, must be replaced soon. A few months ago i had replaced mine and the bolts were very corroted, a pain in the ass.

Check the rubber mounts of the oil filter housing! This must be checked because you can cut them off at an oil change.

Enviado desde mi iPhone utilizando Tapatalk

·
Registered
346 Posts
Here is what my experience says: The engine can be pretty well be sorted for about $1500 in parts. Timing chains/guides/tensioners, water pump and related, seals, some hoses, belts, valve cover gaskets, plugs, PCV system, valley pan and a few other items. Basically everything will be fresh. All the work pretty much overlaps if you pull the manifold when you do the timing guides/chains. Do the valley pan. PCV system is dangerous on these as soft hoses will take out the engine. So unless you see proof the system and hoses are new change them.

The only concern here is whether the engine is an oil burner. If it is you need a new engine. I bought a used motor which was a burner which was a total loss in the end, although I reused all the "new" parts on the next motor. Check the plugs and piston tops for clues - as an oil burner makes it a $500 buy.

If Vanos is shot then most likely the chain guides should be done - these fail usually around 120k, but I have heard some go at 80k and I think one guy was at 200k. But if you are there doing the Vanos by all means do the chain guides. Only hard part, which is not bad, is the crank bolt.

Vanos rebuild I am not a fan of as I have not had good success. Some outfits in Europe actually repair them correctly - so if you are going that route I would pay the extra $400 or so and do it that way. Beisan rebuild has been about 50% for me having done 8 units. Some have had great success - it really depends on the condition of the original Vanos you are starting with to rebuild. I had two units that were too far worn to rebuild and learned the hard way - not Besian's fault. As the saying goes, garbage in garbage out - so this is an unknown.

Big issues other than the motor is the transmission, tires and air suspension. Transmission is an unknown - but an oil and filter change would be smart unless already done. Figure about $150.

Tires figure about $1400, air suspension can be sorted for $600 to $2000 on the high end. It just depends on what you are starting with which is unknown. Battery figure $140-$200. Radiator is about $250.00.

Suspension figure about $500 to buy all the main wear items (other than shocks, above). Windshield figure $350-400 for heated (that is what I paid).

Depending on the condition and mileage of the car it is a $1,000 to $2000 buy price, but factor the above items.

Final thing to look at is the electronics in the rear boot, Driver side. Make sure there are no signs of water intrusion as it will take out electronics and leave you with no radio and related.

If you plan on owning and driving it then it is worth throwing $3000 in parts at it and then tons of labor. It is a wonderful driving car and very capable.

You really need to look at the condition of everything, because what ever you don't replace will bite you again as the work is so duplicative. I strongly suggest you refresh everything at the start and not go piece by piece - you will hate the truck if you go that route.

Used parts are pretty easy to find and BMW engine parts swap over pretty easy and prices are not that bad. I imagine the owner wants so much for his truck as it has been nailing him with bills for a long time. Again, when sorted, it is a very nice ride.

My last recommendation, if you decide to buy it. Once you have a list of what is needed, circle back for advice. It will save you not only in the hows and how nots, but what else you should service and where to buy the parts.

·
Registered
274 Posts
^
exactly what kg74 said.. these are fantastic cars when sorted out, and a 3-5k investment would make sense if it came from an original owner with a host of records and only VANOS/chain problems; unfortunately this isn't the case here.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts