RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bottom line up front: is upgrading to a 2016 SCV8 from a 2015 SCV6 is worth $20K?

I’ve owned my Fuji White 2015 Range Rover Sport HSE (with the Extra-Duty Package) for a year and am now considering trading it on an Aintree Green 2016 SCV8. One of our local dealerships offered me an out the door trade difference of $20K (includes tax, tags, title, processing fee, and that $995 delivery charge).

Unfortunately, I do live in the Washington DC area and have to spend ample time in city traffic. The SCV8 feels and sounds amazing, but I’m realistic about having very limited opportunities to enjoy the 510 HP.

Right Side of My Brain

• You already have a Range Rover Sport why buy another one?
  • What is the V8 going to give you in city traffic that the V6 doesn’t?
  • Are you prepared to get 10 MPG sitting on the Beltway?
  • Where are you going to use all that extra power? You live in DC.
  • Will your relaxing daily driver turn into a stressful boulevard racer?
  • Is dropping $20K on this really worth an engine swap?
  • Keep in mind Nad that I'm an SUV and not a sports car. Use me for what I was designed to do, okay?
  • What are the chances that I will end up back in the shop in 300 mies with check engine lights going off?

Left Side of My Brain

• The V8 sounds amazing and feels great.
  • Love the Aintree Green. Very classic British.
  • If the entire SCV8 package calls to you, buy it.
  • Life is short, an astroid could hit Earth next year and you’ll wish you had fun in the SCV8.
  • Gotta have it. Must have it. Need it. Now.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Left side usually wins out with me. I purchase, so even after depreciation, once its paid off its still an asset that can be liquidated. The V8 is just something else compared to the V6, and when you're spending that much, get what calls you.

Hope you have trouble free enjoyment in your new SCV8, friend!

·
Registered
2016-2018 Range Rover Sport
1,076 Posts
Assuming most options are similar or ones that you won't miss if not in the new vehicle, it usually costs about $10,000 to upgrade from V6 to V8, at least it was for me with similarly optioned vehicles.

So if you look at it that way, you are only paying a $10,000 penalty for upgrading on the steepest part of the depreciation curve. Yes traffic will limit how much you can open the engine up but you will still find ways to enjoy the V8 whether it's the exhaust note or the gobs of power when passing on the interstate.

Good luck with the decision!

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys!

The way that I am looking at this on paper (I always have to make things so complex...gasp):

1) $10,000 for 1st Year Depreciation (Purchased for $76K - Trade In $66K = $10K)

+

2) $10,000 for Upgrade (Includes Tax, Tags, Title, $595 Processing Fee, Dealer Fees, and $995 Delivery Charge)

=

3) $20K Total Out of Pocket + Trade of SCV6.

This is tough decision.

·
Premium Member
1,425 Posts
So far, the 3 of us who have responded have a V8, so we might be a tiny bit biased.

My vote is for the V8 :cool:

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So far, the 3 of us who have responded have a V8, so we might be a tiny bit biased.

My vote is for the V8 :cool:
Yeah :) I noticed. Thanks! But I figured that I better ask forum members since my wife is now ready to banish me to Siberia. It's been Range Rover overlaod for her this weekend.

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
Thanks guys!

The way that I am looking at this on paper (I always have to make things so complex...gasp):

1) $10,000 for 1st Year Depreciation (Purchased for $76K - Trade In $66K = $10K)

+

2) $10,000 for Upgrade (Includes Tax, Tags, Title, $595 Processing Fee, Dealer Fees, and $995 Delivery Charge)

=

3) $20K Total Out of Pocket + Trade of SCV6.

This is tough decision.
How many months have you owned the V6? If say 12 then $10,000 depreciation isn't bad. That would be like a lease payment of $833 a month which won't even get you an SE.

Sorry, trying to enable you as much as possible. :thumb:

·
Registered
27 Posts
As a SCV8 owner, I'd say wait. Not only will you be dealing with the depreciation on a 1st gen to 1st gen trade, but you'll also get hit with another round of depreciation once the facelift arrives and you inevitably trade again for the 'new one'. Personally, with the facelift car looming on the horizon, stick it out for another year or so.

·
Premium Member
1,816 Posts
Nad, this is I think the 3rd thread where you're asking people about this upgrade, this way or another. Clearly, you want this trade. Go for it. As many other threads have discussed, you're getting way more than just a V8. That part should be obvious.

As far as the boss is concerned, who I suspect is the real issue here: use your offroad driving school certificate and take her out for a nice weekend to brush up HER offroad driving skills here: http://www.starwoodhotels.com/luxury/property/overview/index.html?propertyID=3382&language=en_US
Or visit the owners' day http://landroverexperienceequinox.rezgo.com/details/48159/land-rover-owners-day

My wife keeps telling me that she wants to go back (and so do I)

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks folks!

Yes, I've been asking a lot of repetitive questions in multiple threads. No argument from me there! It's time for me to make a decision either way. It has been good getting to see opposing points of view.

Everyone has given me good advice.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Obviously a strong left brain or you wouldn't be driving a RRS sport. But on the right side, 20k is like 5 years worth of fuel and maintenance on the V6 (no majors of course). Sure I'd like a V8 as well but I rarely floor what I have and when I do, it gets the job done with a smile. Something to be said for supercharged power at any cylinder count.

·
Registered
1,367 Posts
I've been very happy with my 2014 V6. I have over 20000 miles on the car, it's now 2 years old. I had the ECU Tuning Group work it's magic on the motor when it was a few months old and it now puts out over 400 hp which is plenty for my needs. I race a low 10 second bracket car and I have a 2016 650 hp Z06 so I know what speed is all about. I don't race the RRS (although I have taken it down the quarter a few times to verify the improvement of the new tune). The car runs low 14's which is more than quick enough for me. It tows my 5000lb load with ease and passes SCV8s while they are at the gas pump (kidding). If I had it to do over again, I would buy the same car.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks everyone! I do appreciate the advice. If I had to do it all over again from scratch I would have opted for the SCV8 right out of the gate. The decision that I'm struggling with is whether or not to plunk down an additional $20K on top of the SCV6 :)

I've been very happy with my 2014 V6. I have over 20000 miles on the car, it's now 2 years old. I had the ECU Tuning Group work it's magic on the motor when it was a few months old and it now puts out over 400 hp which is plenty for my needs. I race a low 10 second bracket car and I have a 2016 650 hp Z06 so I know what speed is all about. I don't race the RRS (although I have taken it down the quarter a few times to verify the improvement of the new tune). The car runs low 14's which is more than quick enough for me. It tows my 5000lb load with ease and passes SCV8s while they are at the gas pump (kidding). If I had it to do over again, I would buy the same car.
Good points 383. Yeah, I have a few powerful street cars myself but don't find them relaxing to drive as daily drivers. Then I go out and consider a 510 V8. Go figure. That makes a lot of sense, huh? When I am in my Porsches people annoy the heck out of me. You can't go two traffic lights without some Fast & Furious wannbe trying to instigate a race. That's why I like SUVs in traffic and around town. They tend to lay much lower under the radar. All in all I probably drive my SUVs 95% of the time. It's money munch better spent to me than street cars.

Just can't decide if $20K is going to be worth it going from Sport to Sport. Only I can make that decision, but it has been good to get different opinions.

I'll promise not to start any more threads unless it is to post pics:)

·
Registered
160 Posts
I'll be expecting pics of the V8 in the next couple of weeks :wink:. But honestly, It is your decision, don't let minor facelifts deter you if this car is calling your name. I wasn't in the RR family when the mid life facelift hit the L320, so I can't comment on how it affects depreciation. That is yet to be seen. but I plan to drive mine until a trade is inevitable due to wear and tear. I have no qualms with the car whatsoever, and everytime it cranks up, or you put any power down, you just smile and get chills. Wonderful vehicle. I plan on an exhaust and tune when the factory warranty runs out to make it even better.

·
Premium Member
1970-1995 Range Rover Classic
1,458 Posts
Bottom line up front: is upgrading to a 2016 SCV8 from a 2015 SCV6 is worth $20K?

I’ve owned my Fuji White 2015 Range Rover Sport HSE (with the Extra-Duty Package) for a year and am now considering trading it on an Aintree Green 2016 SCV8. One of our local dealerships offered me an out the door trade difference of $20K (includes tax, tags, title, processing fee, and that $995 delivery charge).

Unfortunately, I do live in the Washington DC area and have to spend ample time in city traffic. The SCV8 feels and sounds amazing, but I’m realistic about having very limited opportunities to enjoy the 510 HP.

Right Side of My Brain

• You already have a Range Rover Sport why buy another one?
  • What is the V8 going to give you in city traffic that the V6 doesn’t?
  • Are you prepared to get 10 MPG sitting on the Beltway?
  • Where are you going to use all that extra power? You live in DC.
  • Will your relaxing daily driver turn into a stressful boulevard racer?
  • Is dropping $20K on this really worth an engine swap?
  • Keep in mind Nad that I'm an SUV and not a sports car. Use me for what I was designed to do, okay?
  • What are the chances that I will end up back in the shop in 300 mies with check engine lights going off?

Left Side of My Brain

• The V8 sounds amazing and feels great.
  • Love the Aintree Green. Very classic British.
  • If the entire SCV8 package calls to you, buy it.
  • Life is short, an astroid could hit Earth next year and you’ll wish you had fun in the SCV8.
  • Gotta have it. Must have it. Need it. Now.
As you've pointed out, you're in DC, you won't be able to appreciate the upgrade much. Besides, you have other vehicles that go fast, right? I'd recommend you listen to the logical side of your brain, not the creative side. Spend the 20k upgrading your go-fast vehicle or take the wife on a nice vacation...My .02 cents.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
As you've pointed out, you're in DC, you won't be able to appreciate the upgrade much. Besides, you have other vehicles that go fast, right? I'd recommend you listen to the logical side of your brain, not the creative side. Spend the 20k upgrading your go-fast vehicle or take the wife on a nice vacation...My .02 cents.
This side of my brain seems to be winning the tug of war at the moment. Should know for certain by Sunday. I'll either be waxing it in the driveway this weekend or putting it to rest for a while.

I think reality sinks in after a while, especially when I took the dogs to the park today and had some moron parked a POS probably 3-inches from my passenger door for no reason whatsoever. There's an entire parking lot with 100 spaces and he/she has to park as close as possible. Makes me think twice about driving a $90K vehicle around DC as a daily driver. Having nice things feels good, but we can also get too protective and emotional about them sometimes.

The SCV8 is amazing...no doubt...but the idea of trading my SCV6 with 3100 miles + $20K for it is starting to fade. But, we'll see!

Thanks again for the advice.

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
Hmm, maybe the best choice is to stay the course. You can always decide to upgrade later, but if you do the trade you can't reverse it. Plus if you pass maybe the dealer will come back with a better offer that will make the decision easier. Is there a number that would make the upgrade a no brainer? If so tell the dealer the number and to call if they change their mind.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts