RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After 280,000 km, the GM transmission of my 2002 Vogue starts sliping when I go in 4th or 5th at low speed. On the highway, it behaves normally. I read in Land Rover Owners Magazine and saw some videos on Youtube that Lucas Transmission Fix would work well in such cases. In my case it remained the same after adding a pack of this product.
Has anyone used this to give me some feedback?

·
JACK'S GRANDAD
9,244 Posts
Waste of money.

·
Administrator
27,818 Posts
At appx 175K miles your transmission has given many years of reliable service. Perhaps it is just tired.

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
688 Posts
^^^^^
What he said.
I’ve had only one transmission ever go past 160,000 miles even with regular servicing. That was on a Mazda Protege.
But I’m just hard on transmissions. I accelerate hard and drive fast.

Sent from my iPhone X

·
Registered
2,475 Posts
I used that stuff all the time on my tired fleet vehicles... Similar issues with slipping and banging into gear, lucas has always breathed new life into them. I usually have them picked up for scrap before the trans fully lets go... That said I doubt it works in all situations depending on the root cause. Basically it mixes with the trans fluid, breaks apart potential clogs in the valve body, it also softens up gaskets/seals and expands them to slow/stop leaks. It's got a friction modifier to help plate contact/shifting. Also... it doesn't work immediately in my experience, sometimes it takes multiple driving cycles before you'll notice a difference.

So you can replace your trans and have complete piece of mind, or you can go nuts with the lucas and be on borrowed time. Tho again in my own personal experience I've had vehicles with trans that were almost certainly on the verge of catastrophe do another 100,000 miles after some lucas treatments.

·
Registered
2,475 Posts
Hi Brad
For my GM transmission what you'll advice? One or two bottles?
I'm in no way shape or form saying it'll work, but I always started with one, if it didn't fully band-aid the issue I added another. These were on vehicles I use for my business so I don't really care about them, when they die they get crushed.

·
Registered
2002-2005 Range Rover MkIII / L322
164 Posts
Sorry to tell you but your trans is stuffed. It's a known problem. Get it out before more damage is done and either repair or replace. . Not sealed for life as the factory says.

The alloy metal in the main pump is soft. It wares. Looses pressure. Torque converter clutch plates slip, disintegrate goes through pump so more ware.

There are a number of fixes. The pump can sleeved. New torque converter. New HD drive plates. A new oil cooler is a must as it will be full of clutch material. If the rebuild in done properly it will be stronger than the original. Still not good but better.

Been there done that . Good luck

·
Administrator
27,818 Posts
Get it out before more damage is done and either repair or replace. Not sealed for life as the factory says.
The GM transmissions used in diesels were never "sealed for as the factory says". That was the ZF trannies used in petrols as BMW said... not the factory.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts