RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2002-2005 Range Rover MkIII / L322
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It is able to handle vehicles up to 4000 lb (1814 kg) GVWR. The final drive ratio is 3.42:1, 3.73:1, or 3.91:1. The 5L40-E is designed for 1.8–3.6 L engines with a maximum of 250 ft·lbf (340 N·m) of torque.

This is the explanation for 5l40-e;RR weight seems much for this transmission.

·
Premium Member
1,410 Posts
It's not the transmission that fails - it's the torque converter luck-up clutch. The pieces then float through the oil and kill the transmission.

And the GM tranny is not a bad unit - and not all fail. The 'ooohhh ma transmission' hype is starting to get to me.

·
Administrator
27,821 Posts
Stevemfr said:
The 'ooohhh ma transmission' hype is starting to get to me.
That's because too many people are alarmists and believe the first thing they read on the internet. They panic and assume the worst before doing their own research and handling early warning signs before screaming "ooohhh ma transmission". :lol:

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
it's the torque converter luck-up clutch

So this has no relation with weight?I dont know much about autos.

·
LEGACY VENDOR
2,369 Posts
GM’s Turbo Hydra-matic transmissions used to be named according to the cubic capacity of the engine that they were designed to be mated with e.g. THM350 = 350 cubic inch engine. In the early ‘90s they changed their naming system to be ‘more descriptive’ so that the THM400, for example, became the 3L80 where the ‘3’ refers to the number of gears, ‘L’ means Longitudinal (‘T’ for Transverse) and the ‘80’ is the “relative torque rating”. The 5L40-E is therefore a five speed, longitudinal transmission with a torque capacity below the 4L60 or 3L80 but higher than the 3L30. The final ‘E’ just means electronic control. No particular clues to the actual torque capacity there then.

However, BMW call the 5L40-E transmission (which incidentally was built in Stevefmr’s hometown of Strasbourg) the A5S360R which, according to BMW’s naming system, means it has a torque capacity of 360Nm. (They call the early petrol L322 ZF 5HP24 gearbox the A5S440Z to reflect its 440Nm torque capacity).

The TD6 engine produces [email protected]

Not sure what the final drive ratio has to do with anything but for L322 the TD6 models have an axle ratio of 4.10 whereas for the petrol models it’s 3.73.

Phil

·
Premium Member
1,410 Posts
RRPhil said:
(which incidentally was built in Stevefmr’s hometown of Strasbourg)
Phil
Which has nothing to do with any affinity or dislike I may or may not have for this particular transmission :p

Funny, the expensive and hard to get Timken wheel bearings used on the P38 are apparently all made in Colmar, which is just an hour south of Strasbourg. I'm in RR-parts heaven. :roll:

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So stevefmr is our GM parts source?

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So we can summarise this as an underrated transmission for RR specs.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts