RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2002-2005 Range Rover MkIII / L322
880 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today the glove box quit opening. Checked the RAV, but it starts with "open the glove box". Yeah, like I would be reading the RAV if I could open it. Also no luck with a forum search over the last 3 years. Apparently not that common of an issue.

So, has anyone solved this? It appears I have to remove the pax airbag to access the latch..?

·
Administrator
27,803 Posts
Back in the corner of my pea brain I recall someone with this issue able to remove the dash end cap and A/C vent to trip the latch somehow. Just a thought and I really can;t remember any details.

·
Registered
880 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks. I didn't think about that end, so I'll give it a try.

·
Registered
880 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Oh...this is an '04...forgot that's not in my signature block

·
Registered
880 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well...the end plate gets me no closer.

Can somebody look and let me know where the latch is located....center or side of the box? I can't remember now that I can't see it. Thanks.

·
Administrator
27,803 Posts
Pictures and regular directions are in RAVE. release is on the left and latch is on top centre if I remember correctly.

·
Registered
880 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks...just trying to get an idea where to direct my attention.

I pulled all the lower and side trim panels. With the fuse box connected to the rear of the box, there is no access from the bottom. Steel braces left and right restrict access from those directions. I am left with the top...which is the air bag module.

I have started through the RAV for pax airbag module, and it is not a simple procedure. Part of the problem is the RAV tells you to remove a trim piece...but gives no pics for which piece they are talking about. I am down to the "Dash upper trim"...which is is having me remove the drivers side trim to remove it...so I think it is the dash pad, but there is no telling at this point.

I cannot believe they did not design a way to trip the latch if the cable fails.

·
Registered
880 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Finally resolved it...Toad was right. Here are the details...

First, the cause was not anything breaking. It turns out the strap for an ID card lay perfectly over the latch rod, jamming the latch closed.

If you need to pop the glove box, this is how, using the minimum disassembly.

1) remove the plastic end cap of the dash. This envolves pulling the rubber door seal out to expose the edge of the cap. Pop the 4 plastic pins by pulling the cap straight outboard.

2) Remove the AC vent by pulling the vent backward with a hooked probe. While pulling backward, reach an ice pick inside the vent louvres and gently pull the 4 plastic clips towards vent center. This takes some alternating back and forth until the assembly pops out.

3) Remove the 1 screw at the very back of the vent cup holder. Then pop the cup holder clips by pushing the holder straight back.

4) Remove 3 screws holding the cup holder support assembly.

5) Remove the vent surround trim/panel by removing 3 screws and pulling backward. There is actually a picture of this part in the RAV...for once!

Once you have reached this point, you can shine a flashlight down the top of the glove box and see the end of the cable where it connects to the latch. You have to jam both your head and the flashlight between the dash and the door...so if you have a large head, find someone with a smaller head to do it!

The final step is to take a very long screw driver...at least 18 inches!...and reach it through the dash frame, over the glove box, under the latch....and then pry handle down/point upward like a big dog until the thing pops.

So...thank you Toad! The rest of you were NO help, but I hope this helps you some day!!

·
Administrator
27,803 Posts
LMAO... It was just one of those rare occasions when both brain cells bumped into each other to remember something obscure. Glad it worked out.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Mine was stuck as well, removed the top section of the dash and pulled the cable from the top where it connects to the lock. Also, my latch wouldn't actually clasp once I reinstalled everything, so I thought I'd share a solution to this problem where I've added a spring to the outside of the latch assembly. I used a #4 screw down through the hollow rivet in the latch to hold the pre-looped end of the spring then cut it at a point where it would add tension to the latch piece that completes the latching function. I also zip tied the cable into the saddle on the latch so that it's sure to stay seated. This restored my old latch and has it working like new!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2010-2012 Range Rover MkIII / L322
382 Posts
Once you have reached this point, you can shine a flashlight down the top of the glove box and see the end of the cable where it connects to the latch. You have to jam both your head and the flashlight between the dash and the door...so if you have a large head, find someone with a smaller head to do it!

Hey John,

Glad you got this figured out - hopefully before you needed that ID ;)

Harbor Freight are having yet another blowout sale today and they have a pretty decent digital inspection camera complete with an extension wand, which I've found particularly useful for these kind of behind the dash type problems.

Their ad states it's LOT 61839/62359/67979 if you want to take a quick look on their website.

Cheers, Rob

Hurry! The next HF sale doesn't start until tomorrow :)

·
LEGACY VENDOR
Range Rover MkIII / L322
792 Posts
Just to add to the already detailed instructions for opening the glove box. The arrowed part has to be pushed in the direction of the arrow. Very simple once you know how.

Alas in my case the cable is nowhere to be seem so more digging and dismantling is required.

Attachments

1 - 14 of 14 Posts