RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
933 Posts
This was one of the very first jobs I did on my P38, as in less than 24 hours after getting it :lol: I had no idea what I was doing and just sort of muddled my way through.

If you open the glove box and look inside can you see the gas strut with the bracket still attached?? You should just be able to push the bracket back into the part where it attaches on the glove box. I did and that was two years ago now and it hasn't broken since. You will see what I mean when you have a look.

It really is a super easy thing to fix.

-Wills :)

·
Registered
27 Posts
I did not think of puching it back in. :) Those are press nuts that have been pulled out of the plastic. I driled it out and install two small bolts. You see the head in the golve box is all.
John

·
Registered
1,758 Posts
Thanks for the tip. Mine is completely broken as well but I seem to remember needing more than a couple of small bolts. What I do remember is that it is absolutely imperative to make sure that the glovebox cable latch mechanism is working properly before you latch the glovebox door. It really is quite a heavy door for the strut mounting brackets to retain.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Hi, again, thanks for the information.

I have downloaded RAVE but when I tried to get it to open it looks for Adobe Shockwave and this program is now unavailable for download. I'm not sure how to get RAVE to open but perhaps someone could suggest a program ?

EDIT - I have found a means to open RAVE using a different Adobe program, so I have sorted that out `)

Pierre3.

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
135 Posts
I need to replace my strut as well. I can see where it pulled off the glove box and will drill and bolt those in when replacing. My question is how does one remove the top part of the strut? It looks like there is a pin or something that extends into the left hidden area of the structure. I don't see any way to get to the fittings, if any, behind there.

·
Registered
442 Posts
easiest to remove the entire glove box unit from the car - screws from the dashboard, tiny bolts on the hinges (behind the plastic trim on the roof of the footwell) and then disconnect the wire for the light and the cable for the opener. you could just about do the job without removing the hinges, but if you're not familiar with what goes where/ have big fingers then don't waste your time. Make sure your strut is not over powered (ie 5kg/50N), or the compartment will need to be pulled open instead of glide down.

My old unit was stamped 2329 GR 0050N 019/98 F 09 Lift-o-mat. I think the LR part number should be AWR 6897.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Like everyone else here I found that my glove box was just falling down. However, mine was different because a guy who fitted a new media player/radio disconnected the hydraulic arm when doing the wiring, but didn't reconnect it.

I managed to reconnect everything, and I decided to do the permanent fixing with M4 nuts and bolts while I had the unit down. It was a bit tricky getting the arm back in place because I didn't take the whole glove box unit out to begin with. I left the release cable connected and managed to fix the hydraulic arm to the mounting from behind.

Incidentally, my arm is held on to the mounting with a spring washer rather than a split pin. I would have preferred a split pin as getting a spring washer on and off is quite difficult.

The one thing that I couldn't get fixed was the hinge bolt on the left hand hinge. When I unscrewed the hinges two square "nuts" dropped out and I couldn't get this left hand side nut back in situ as there seems to be heater motor sitting right on top of the metal frame where the square nut dropped out of.

There are two fixed nuts which don't move, and two which are loose, and I managed to get only one nut back, the one on the right hand hinge. But the left hand hinge is secure enough as there is a fixed nut in position.

Pierre3.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts