RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everyone,

Anybody know where to buy a brand new, not new old stock (NOS) gas strut for the glove box door? I ordered a replacement strut from the delear that was NOS but as soon as I received it, it was leaking oil and did not hold the glove box door open. The dealer ordered a replacement for the replacement but that one too had gone bad. I think what is ending up happening is that these struts sit on the shelf for more than a decade and by the time one purchases it the strut's seals have already deteriorated causing the leaking.

I saw the post from earlier this month regarding a very close replacement from Hong Kong but both their website and the ebay store do not have that.

I'm hoping someone might be able to source a brand new not NOS strut or be able to provide a company here in North America that can possibly repair my existing strut (re-charge it or fill it with gas and install a new seal, etc.).

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thank you!

Calguy

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
113 Posts
I bought one from BP Utah last fall..it was very weak not quite dead....now its just a thing to add to the list. Probably should have returned it.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I didn't try either of the ones you mentioned I went straight to the dealer and was confronted with the NOS problem. I contacted Stabilus but they told me to contact the dealer as it is a dealer specific item... Would you happen to have their web urls and recommendation for either one?

Thank you

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah that's the problem I faced with the NOS. These things sit on the self for years. They only have a shelf life of 10 or less years, and by the time a person buys it it's already a throw-away at that point...

That's why I'm hoping either a new less than a year old part can be located or a company that can just rebuild the existing one... I found a company that rebuilds shocks but they are in Europe and would be my last resort if I can't find one here in the U.S.

Thank you

1 - 5 of 5 Posts