RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,425 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Until 2011, silver reigned for ten years as car buyers' favorite exterior car color according to the annual survey conducted by PPG. White took over in 2011, and it hasn't let up since. White extended its lead over other colors in 2014. Globally, 28 percent of car builds were white, leading every market, with black in second in every market. Silver held third at 13 percent but is still in decline after its lengthy run, dropping again globally and being overtaken by red, blue and green as the favorite hues for sports cars; it did tie for first place with white in South America, though.

rest of article:
http://autos.aol.com/article/white-dominates-car-paint-palette/?icid=maing-grid7|main5|dl17|sec1_lnk2&pLid=577781

I know the dealers here in LA influenced those numbers ... they only seem to order white, black and gray! `)

I've had silver cars for years, so I was ready for a change (but not too drastic), so I picked Scotia for my 2015 RR arriving in January.

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
643 Posts
I like black vehicles. But in the summer Texas heat, white just seems like it's not as hot to get into.

My Disco is white. Of course my Rangie is black.

But then in '02, you could get the Westminster in any color you wanted as long as it was black.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
325 Posts
I wonder how much of this is skewed by different markets.

For example, if you take out a bank loan here for a car, it will be a specific make, from a specific dealer, depending on your bank. The wife decided she was going to buy a new vehicle and her bank said, "Yes Mam, it shall be a Toyota Fortuner and it shall be from the main dealer in Quezon City". They in turn told her, "Yes, Mam, black or white?" She chose white ("So people see me at night"), but as they had none in stock, she got black!

Consequently, virtually all the Fortuners you see here are black or white with only, I assume, cash buyers getting any other choice. Don't know if other markets work in this rather strange way, but if so, it would certainly shift the statistics, but with personal choice not entering into the equation.

·
Registered
325 Posts
I bet they do that because of resale value. Most likely provoked by a theory of repo and reselling.

Dunno, you could be right. Whatever the colour though, the Fortuner is amongst the most objectionable piles of utter crap I have ever driven. Resale value should be zero!

·
Registered
381 Posts
White is the new black....

·
Registered
643 Posts
Dunno, you could be right. Whatever the colour though, the Fortuner is amongst the most objectionable piles of utter crap I have ever driven. Resale value should be zero!
They're alright. Not in my top 10 list. (Not really even my top 50).

I friend of mine in Sucat, Philippines has a dark metallic silver one with a turbo diesel.

It serves it's purpose. I'd be ok driving one. I can think of worse.

Had a Nissan sedan when living in the Philippines. Don't remember the real name but a lot like our Sentra. Maybe Saloon was the model.

·
Premium Member
2016-2018 Range Rover Sport
906 Posts
Back in the early 2000's I had a dealer friend of mine that said if a dealer had a crappy allotment size/amount from the factory those dealers were stuck with white and black. So maybe it helped drive the numbers to the point that people just wanted to order white.

Not happening for me though. The only white vehicles that I own are Ford Super Duty's and 3 Dodge Sprinter vans. For personal vehicles if the dealer only has white available then I am not buying.

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
There are two other Range Rovers at work,so when I park my white one between them it looks like an Orio Cookie.

Or a Typical Land Rover Dealership.

Thinking about it, all my Cars over the last 10 years have been either black or white, yes, you're right, I'm not the most adventurous member here.

Why is it that if LR produce so many white/black ones they always seem to pimp the red ones in their Ads? Currently there is an ad here in the US showing a RED sport (again) racing through the sand.

Most of the Evoque ads seem to feature "goldish" colored ones, most of them here in SoCal on the road are either white, or black.

·
Registered
1,171 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,425 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
There are two other Range Rovers at work,so when I park my white one between them it looks like an Orio Cookie.

Or a Typical Land Rover Dealership.

Thinking about it, all my Cars over the last 10 years have been either black or white, yes, you're right, I'm not the most adventurous member here.

Why is it that if LR produce so many white/black ones they always seem to pimp the red ones in their Ads? Currently there is an ad here in the US showing a RED sport (again) racing through the sand.

Most of the Evoque ads seem to feature "goldish" colored ones, most of them here in SoCal on the road are either white, or black.
The 2015 RR brochure mostly features an Aruba RR and the 2014 mostly featured a Luxor RR, similar champagne colors. Those colors, and red, are probably easier to photograph compared to black or white. White is prone to glare and black loses the details in the car. I've only seen a Luxor once, out of state, a special order waiting to be picked up by the owner.

It was so easy when we chose the color for my husbands E63. The day we went, the dealer happened to have 7 new E-series in different colors, all lined up next to each other out in the sunlight. To us it looked best in pearl white or silver. We ordered pearl white for a change in color, but a silver one showed up 2 months earlier, so my husband took it.

For the RR I called and drove to many dealers and the most I saw was white, black, silver gray and dark gray ... and not all at the same dealer! Very hard to not just choose the basics, without seeing samples of the colors!

·
Registered
643 Posts
Very similar situation when I bought my first Harley. I actually went in wanting black. The dealer rolled the black and a two tone metallic ruby out into the sun. Guess which one I rode off into the sunset on?

The ruby which 25 years later I still have.

·
Premium Member
1,425 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yes, I think people aren't brave enough to special order the unusual colors, unless they are able to see them in person ... dealers don't order the unusual colors because they think they might not sell .... so we end up with just the basic colors!

In August, when I ordered my RR ATB in Scotia, the dealer questioned my choice and told me he had just added to inventory a special order RR (not ATB) that a customer turned down because he didn't like Scotia once he saw it in person. They had also made some funky choices with contrasting roof, side vents and wheels -- which I think was the real problem and not the color. They had it in inventory for a few weeks, but finally sold it. So I can see why the dealer would be worried with my choice, but I think he realized that I'm serious and taking the RR when it comes in January, whatever my opinion of Scotia when I see it for the first time!

·
Premium Member
1970-1995 Range Rover Classic
1,480 Posts
... dealers don't order the unusual colors because they think they might not sell ....
Can't really blame them for that. Unsold and stale inventory erodes the bottom line...

·
Registered
2006-2009 Range Rover MkIII / L322
178 Posts
Last summer I engaged a broker to look for me a Rangie and he asked me what color I was interested in. I said 1) Rimini Red 2) Buckingham Blue or 3) Tonga Green. He replied, "Oh, so the colors nobody wants!". Yup, black, white and silver are at the bottom of my list. Took me a while, but I found a low mileage Parchment/Buckingham Blue. No thanks to the broker.

Unfortunately, I can't totally escape white as that's the only color my 110 came in. :/

·
Registered
79 Posts
I ordered my 2015 RRS HSE in colors to match my Corgi. Fuji White with Almond/Espresso.

OK, so that was bull****. Actually, a lot of Texans order white (as LuisC mentioned), due to our extreme summer heat. It can get crazy hot! One upside here is that a clean white vehicle absolutely glows so brightly on a sunny day that it hurts your eyes to look at it!

·
Premium Member
1,425 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I ordered my 2015 RRS HSE in colors to match my Corgi. Fuji White with Almond/Espresso.

OK, so that was bull****. Actually, a lot of Texans order white (as LuisC mentioned), due to our extreme summer heat. It can get crazy hot! One upside here is that a clean white vehicle absolutely glows so brightly on a sunny day that it hurts your eyes to look at it!
You can't win ... you either get blinded by the white exterior or cooked by the black exterior `). Funny about matching your Corgi, I bet the Almond does a good job of hiding the Corgi hair! I've been doing a lot of remodelling the last few years and it is funny how many people match the floors to their pets.

I'm in CA so no interest in a black car either. When we test drove the RR and RRS, one had a standard colored roof and the other a black roof. Both had been sitting out in the sun and the RRS with the black roof was much hotter inside and took longer to cool.

·
Registered
1,171 Posts

Mine is the exact same Color Combo, no regrets, we love it.

This is my second Fuji RRS, I'm surprised at how many people remark how white it is, it's not just white, it's WHITE !!!. It has a polymer coating on the Paint, even after a few heavy rain storms last week it looked perfectly clean when the sun came out the next Day.

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
You can't win ... you either get blinded by the white exterior or cooked by the black exterior `). Funny about matching your Corgi, I bet the Almond does a good job of hiding the Corgi hair! I've been doing a lot of remodelling the last few years and it is funny how many people match the floors to their pets.
Haha, I'm guilty of that, the first thing we did when we moved in during the summer was to have All the Carpet and wood floor combo replaced with all wood. We tried to match it to our Scottish Folds but one is Ginger, the other is grey and white, so we ended up with an orangey/Grey distressed look.

Here's me thinking we were the only ones but the Contractor told me it was very common.

Who wood have thought!!! ( sorry )

·
Registered
79 Posts
My Corgi sheds so much in fact, May and October a full coat each and one more throughout the year, that it takes two Roombas to keep up with him! No matter-I think I'll keep him :)

I wish iRobot had a Roomba for the RRS!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts