RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 96 p38 with 140,000 miles was hit while parked, damage to the rear quarter panel, $4,000 repair, insurance is totaling the car. I'm buying it back for $900, and i'm going to drive the piss out of it until i can find a car of greater majesty to take its place.

Here is what was spent on this car in total over the last 14 years:

Original price tag: $73,000? + in warranty repairs: $30,000 (hard to believe but i have the service records) + out of warranty repairs: $10,000 + gas for 140k miles: $22,400 + insurance 14 years $16,000 + 4 sets of tires $2800 = $154,200

Time spent behind the wheel: 140,000 miles (average speed 35mph) = 4,000 hours, OR 167 24 hour days, or 500 8 hour days, OR 1.36 years, OR around the world 7 times.

I bought it 4 years ago, and i haven't spent more than $3,500 in repairs. (brake work, two flex plates, some minor things, a couple rear view mirrors, a $400 rear window (smashed during attempted theft)

All that being said, i still think its a great car.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Nice tribute - find another one and keep going!

·
LEGACY VENDOR
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
2,064 Posts
Why not fix it? I'm sure I have the body panel...Just a thought :think:

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Scotty said:
Why not fix it? I'm sure I have the body panel...Just a thought :think:
I thought about that but it is a difficult repair, not one i could do my self. And it would be hard to justify putting that much money into a car thats only worth $2,500 when its fixed. It has some other issues, and some deferred maintenance. So i will seek another vehicle.

Anyone have any suggestions as to what they would drive if it weren't a p38? for under $17k?

I like the 2003 RR but its a little too ostentatious for me.
I like the LR Defenders but they are out of my price range.
I like the Disco Series II, supposedly they have a better service record than the p38's
2005 Volvo V50 wagon
2005 Audi A4 sedan or wagon

Toyota Tacoma
Ford escape

·
Registered
42 Posts
for $17,000 USD....

If you want to stay in the luxury automobile class i would go with a used or certified pre owned german sedan. (audi, bmw, merc).

I only use my rover to drive on the beach and in the snow so it is a second vehilce to me and i love it for its superior offroad abilities so my vision of what a rover is for is diffferent than the average bear. If i were to get a another suv to replace my rover i would get a series II disco, jeep cherokee sport, or a toyota FJ. I would LOVE LOVE LOVE a defender, but here in the USA that is near impossible to get one for under $40k.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts