RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
1,115 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,
Still steaming after seeing that Great Divide scrapped...

Oh well, back to the usual. One of my grommets that seal the brake fluid reservoir to the cylinder is leaking. (Made a mess of the paint on the servo. :(.) Both grommets appear in rough shape (cracking). I can get new grommets for about $25.00, but am wondering if they look this rough, what do the cylinder internals look like. No problems with braking at all, very solid and smooth. I can rebuild the original with a couple kits, or replace the whole thing with an aftermarket unit for about the same price, or just spend the $25 and fix the problem...
Any experience with this? What do you recommend?

·
FOUNDING MEMBER
84 Posts
If the aftermarket MC is from a reputable company, I would replace the MC.
But if the MC is some off brand with unknown quality, I'd stick with a Girling rebuild kit.

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
I'm a big fan of preventative maintenance, but unless you really feel the need to replace/rebuild the m/s i would just probably do the grommets, after all one is external the other is internal. However, if you want to be really thorough you could do the brake hoses and caliper seals too, then it's all the rubber bits done. (did mine after melting the caliper dust seals to the brake pads on a rather long downhill offroad stretch...)

If you do the grommets and a week later the m/s fails then i'm sorry :wink:

·
Premium Member
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
1,115 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the advice! As it turns out the MC is a cheap replacement anyway, so I tucked the collets up with some tiny zip ties (seems to be working for now) and I'll start saving for a replacement unit.

·
Registered
152 Posts
I recently had the same problem. Decided to replace and keep the original unit to repair eventually and keep as a spare. However, when I took the reservoir off the original unit, the inside was very dirty and an O-ring inside it had snapped. However that might have happened when I pulled the reservoir off and one of the grommets may have snapped it. I replaced it with an OEM TRW (they bought Lucas).

1 - 5 of 5 Posts