RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I thought I would throw this out there to see if anyone has had a similar occurrence.
We were driving home the other night when I suddenly saw a warning in the center display that was complaining about the "Quality of the Diesel Exhaust Fluid" and that after driving another 249 miles, I would be unable to restart the engine. This seemed very strange as we had filled up with DEF several thousand miles before, and there should be thousands of miles of range remaining - how could the DEF suddenly "go bad?"
We are at our home in a very remote location and the nearest RR dealership and service is almost 200 miles away. So I first called the dealership where we purchased the vehicle in another state and was assured by our usual service advisor that, yes, when I had driven another now 239 miles, the car would not start if turned off. So I contacted the service department at the "nearest" dealership and the service person there confirmed I needed to get the car to the shop before it would refuse to restart.
So I made an appointment for yesterday and began the long journey down there. But, after I had driven about 45 miles, or so, I noticed that the warning message had subtly changed. It was still warning it would not restart, and the miles were still counting down, but now it said there was a DEF "dosing" error. Still a problem, so I continued along. Then, just as I was getting to a town about 100 miles from the dealership, I suddenly realized there was no now warning at all. It was just gone.
So, I called the service advisor at the dealership and we sort of agreed that it would be very difficult to diagnose and repair an issue which no longer appeared to exist. Just to make sure, I did a few errands in town. Shutting off the car multiple times and letting it sit for anywhere from 30 to five minutes at a time, and the warning never returned. So, I called the advisor back and we agreed to just hope it was gone and would not return. He did assure me that, if it did, the mile counter would have reset itself and I would again have 250 miles before it would not restart. He also mentioned that they had a Rover in their shop that day with the same issue that they think was caused by a hose going to a sensor which had somehow gotten “crimped.” They were hoping, anyway, that was the cause.
So, we are all back home and Rovie seems as happy as can be - driving perfectly. There had never been any hint of a problem from the way it was performing at any point in this experience.

·
Registered
17 Posts
DEF Quality and DEF dosing can be caused by multiple things and could happen at anytime regardless if you have just filled your DEF tank. As you’ve suggested your vehicle was driving fine and this will be the case with almost any DEF fault, the only problem being the vehicle will be unable to restart once you’ve hit the end of the counter. These messages can occur from faulty sensors, faulty wiring, fault DEF injector etc.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for your reply.
Yes, the service advisor said it could be any of several things causing the problem(s), which was why he warned me it would be a minimum of three days in the shop. But, in your experience, do these things just spontaneously resolve themselves? That is what is puzzling to me.

·
Registered
17 Posts
No in my experience nothing spontaneously fixes itself on a Range Rover lol, it sounds more like it’s going to be an intermittent fault that will come back at some point. What I will say though is that it should have logged some sort of fault in the ECU.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
We have a code reader and checked immediately to see if it was something we could clear to see if it would pop up again. There were no fault codes reported in any of the systems.

·
Registered
168 Posts
I had the same thing pop up once. I drove it on the freeway for about 50 miles and it went away and never came back.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I had the same thing pop up once. I drove it on the freeway for about 50 miles and it went away and never came back.
Sounds quite similar to what happened to me. I hope I am as fortunate!

·
Registered
168 Posts
Sounds quite similar to what happened to me. I hope I am as fortunate!
Sounds like it. But before I got mine figured out I washable to get a code for a bad NOX sensor. But after driving it everything went away.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
We tried two different readers and both came up empty. Just out of curiosity, how many miles did you have on it when this happened? I am just over 41K now. Is everything good with yours at 80K? Hope so.
Thanks!

·
Registered
168 Posts
I was around 80k when mine had issues. Since ive got mine I had to replace air ride compressor, recharge ac system and need to change out lower a arm. But Ive done all the work myself so i said a boat load of money.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks, that sounds encouraging. I got my car as a CPO with about 22K miles and the only things have been a software glitch that put it into "limp" mode. One time it fixed itself, but the next it had to go in and have an update - no problems since. And then there is the unfortunate habit it has of trying to crush me with the rear gate. It will just start down when I am standing in the middle of the vehicle under it. I can be there for minutes, then it will suddenly start down. Alternately, I can walk by, getting my feet nowhere near under the vehicle, and the gate will come up and try to knock me away. It has been in twice for this without success. I know now if I am going to be around the vehicle, washing it, tailgating, etc., I just leave the key fob in the car. That also prevents it from locking and unlocking itself every time water hits one of the door handles. It is a little strange, but I would not drive anything else.

·
Registered
75 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Any news on this? My 2016 rrs is doing this and it’s been in and out of shop for software update , def quality check that was fine. It comes home three days later and wam back on

DEF Quality and DEF dosing can be caused by multiple things and could happen at anytime regardless if you have just filled your DEF tank. As you’ve suggested your vehicle was driving fine and this will be the case with almost any DEF fault, the only problem being the vehicle will be unable to restart once you’ve hit the end of the counter. These messages can occur from faulty sensors, faulty wiring, fault DEF injector etc.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Any news on this? My 2016 rrs is doing this and it’s been in and out of shop for software update , def quality check that was fine. It comes home three days later and wam back on
Sorry to hear you are having this problem. Do you drive relatively long distances? Mine cleared after driving about 75 miles on the freeway. It may well have cleared itself, regardless. I have driven every duration from 10 minutes to four hours at a go since I first had the issue about four months ago, and there have been no problems, at all. I just got a low-DEF warning the other week, and we added more and the system reset normally.
I hope you are able to get this issue resolved. Please let us know if they find something that works long-term.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Go drive it in sport mode for about 60 miles. I did this on mine and it cleared itself.

·
Registered
2016-2018 Range Rover Sport
214 Posts
I've had the "you need to fill the DEF container" message, but no quality message. Have around 75k on it now. I have been using the factory DEF and found an Amazon supplier that is less than the dealer. Probably not as cheap as an aftermarket. Figure saving $20 is not worth it if the car won't run. I keep a bottle of DEF in the boot near the spare just in case. The factory bottle does make it easy to fill. Last warning was in SoAZ where I went to a truck stop that advertised DEF. Realized it would be difficult to fill so rolled the dice and drove back to Scottsdale. Couple of hundred miles with no ill effects.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Ce
I've had the "you need to fill the DEF container" message, but no quality message. Have around 75k on it now. I have been using the factory DEF and found an Amazon supplier that is less than the dealer. Probably not as cheap as an aftermarket. Figure saving $20 is not worth it if the car won't run. I keep a bottle of DEF in the boot near the spare just in case. The factory bottle does make it easy to fill. Last warning was in SoAZ where I went to a truck stop that advertised DEF. Realized it would be difficult to fill so rolled the dice and drove back to Scottsdale. Couple of hundred miles with no ill effects.
Certainly in my case, and it sounds like it was the case for others posting here, the "quality" of the DEF had absolutely nothing to do with the generation of this fault code.
DEF is 32.5% urea and 67.5% deionized water, that's it. It is incredibly simple to make. Any brand of DEF stating it meets the specs will work as well as any other.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts