RangeRovers.net Forum banner

21 - 25 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
I have found on my 97 4.0SE, there are a few important things to check for cooling fan operation.
#1, verify relays #7,16, and 17 are fuctioning and the fuse box is not melted at #7 relay. See Repair section for Fuse box repair on this site.
Also make sure the COOLANT SENSOR is working.
The cooling fan should come on at least low speed with A/C on, and go to high speed if temp rises.
My Rover only overheated with the A/C on and I found a bad SENSOR, multiple Burnt Relays, and a scortched fuse box.
Happy Hunting :thumb:

·
Registered
211 Posts
Goatwerks said:
I have found on my 97 4.0SE, there are a few important things to check for cooling fan operation.
#1, verify relays #7,16, and 17 are functioning and the fuse box is not melted at #7 relay. See Repair section for Fuse box repair on this site.
Also make sure the COOLANT SENSOR is working.
The cooling fan should come on at least low speed with A/C on, and go to high speed if temp rises.
My Rover only overheated with the A/C on and I found a bad SENSOR, multiple Burnt Relays, and a scorched fuse box.
Happy Hunting :thumb:
I'm fighting overheating as well! I've burst 2 hoses, the one from the intake to the throttle body and the one coming up from the thermostat that forks to the heater. Neither of them under any kind of load conditions, but hot days. I've now replaced all of the hoses, just to be sure.

Checked each of the three relays, appear fine, not burnt, no smell, no marks. Started up truck this morning to check aux fans - fans do not come on at all - with A/C or without - although the engine was not up to temp yet. Will take out for a ride this morning and see how it reacts - what should I be checking next? Compression test? Is there another relay or sensor that controls the fans?

·
Registered
211 Posts
Fans are working - once the truck comes up to temp they are on - or at least when the A/C is on & the truck is up to temp. The higher speed must kick in when the temp gauge goes higher?

Theoretically the burst hoses should just be from age - correct? Any blow by from a head gasket/exhaust issue would cause the cap to release first as opposed to a hose rupture - wouldn't it?

Monitoring the issues, going out for another drive soon.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
TheBoss said:
Theoretically the burst hoses should just be from age - correct? Any blow by from a head gasket/exhaust issue would cause the cap to release first as opposed to a hose rupture - wouldn't it?
Good Point...
I think I will replace trhe hose and go back to trying to figure it out..

·
Registered
105 Posts
High fan is actuated by high pressure switch on condenser(3 wire switch), and coolant SENSOR, not sender(sender is for guage only).
To verify the relays are operating, switch them out 1 at a time with the starter relay. If the starter turns over, relay is good. I had ones that looked good but failed to operate.
Do get a good look at the fusebox repair info in repair section, and properly purge air from cooling system :wink:
On a side note, they must of had a complete idiot design the cooling system , the thermostat housing invites steam pockets with the slightest loss of coolant :doh:

21 - 25 of 25 Posts