RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
665 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
been planning for a while, I have a clarion cd deck lieing around, time to put it in the rover. I think the way it's going to go, i'll pull 4 new pair of wires and put new 2 or 3 way speakers in the doors, run it directly off the deck. I never had a working radio so I dont know how good the factory subs are, but I'll run a rca cable and tie in the subs, if they dont sound good I'll just replace that too. I have a 250W kicker and 2 12s needing a new home.

I really wanted to get the factory setup to work, but tired of playing with it.

once the system is out, if someoene wants parts of it or all of it, let me know. I tested the head unit, no signal out of it even at full power. could be good, dont know. nav unit came on and reacted to buttons, i may even have a cd for it.

·
Registered
468 Posts
Running speaker wires into the doors isn't a problem, just use a metal coathanger to feed them through the rubber flex in the door jambs. Carbon powder works well as a lubricant if needed. Remember to tie them off inside the doors so they don't get caught in the electric windows.

Not sure about 3way components in the front, may be an issue finding a midrange that will fit onto the door card without fouling something in the door (had this problem with my RRC - don't know if the P38 is any different). With 2 way components, there's alot more frequency range coming from the midbass (say < 3.5khz) so you'll need to customise the factory grille to get more accoustic transparency. Quite easy to jigsaw the circular grille out and then cover it with speaker cloth. Problem is finding a speaker cloth to match the interior colour.

I'd go with 2 way components due to the poor positioning of the factory midrange.

If you've got a CB radio or non-integrated bluetooth, you could use the now redundant midrange speakers as your CB or BT speakers. Run extra speaker wires into the doors and wire them in series (so they're mono and 8ohms).

Note: I couldn't get my steering controls to interface on my 1996. Have heard that the pre2000 model are nigh-on impossible to get steering controls working on.

·
Registered
401 Posts
I tested the head unit, no signal out of it even at full power
That means you didn't connect the correct wires together. The amps you probably have in the doors do not run off speaker power like your average car.

i'll pull 4 new pair of wires and put new 2 or 3 way speakers in the doors, run it directly off the deck
Probably easier and just as good to use the stock ones. You probably have a amp in each door for the stock speakers. The only good reason to do this I can think of is if you are planning on amping everything from a big 4CH.

I dont know how good the factory subs are, but I'll run a rca cable and tie in the subs
They don't use RCA's and signal wires for that are already in place on the stock wiring harness.

if they dont sound good I'll just replace that too
They don't. :shock: My solution: http://carphotos.cardomain.com/ride_images/3/1740/461/29347730006_large.jpg
Hear me before you see me, I got king kong in my trunk haha.
(the whole system is stock btw. I just replaced the sub with 2 type-R 12's plus a MRP-M850.) I have a how-to post somewhere here.

I never had a working radio
Could just be your deck that is the problem. There is a whole company dedicated to fixing them after all: http://www.roverville.us/

Steering controls and proper wiring harnesses:
http://www.rangerovers.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=9718&p=64990&hilit=radio+integration#p64990

But to each his own.
-Eric

·
Registered
665 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
pulled the amp apart after reading about water damage and cleaned her up but still no go. I went to best buiy and got 2way 6.5: JBL speakers, fit perfectly in the stock plastic houseing. all 6.5s are installed, gonna do the readio tomorrow.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts