RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On my new P38 I am using a ARB compressor as one aspect of "bomb-proofing" my EAS. I plan to use one of their larger compressor and it wont fit where the old one is. Not to mention it will be easier to run a external air tap from the trunk to inflate tires. My question is from the spare wheel well, what is the best way to get to the front. Somehow outside of the car along the frame rail and too the valve block? Or can it be ran through the trim like sub wires and go through the firewall. Where is a good hole in the firewall? Having it outside of the car does worry me slightly that it could get damaged offroad.

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
332 Posts
Hmmm. Inside the car I would go left and up the LHD side under the body molding. Through the firewall by the AC lines. I have run wires for speakers and an AMP that way. It's not too bad. Take pictures as I'm curious to see how it turns out. I'm thinking about adding a compressor in my boot space also. Where will you mount it?

·
Registered
41 Posts
I ran mine outside on the body, and fed the tank directly (leaving the original EAS pump in place) - I took the drain plug out, tapped it to suit the push fit fitting, and fed the line in - I thought it would be easier

I'm running a Viair pump in the boot (trunk) and have had the following issues which you may be able to engineer around ;-)

1: My pumps runs off a seperate relay - not long ago the relay fused open, so the pump ran continuously - the pressure was so high it forced the valves in the valve block open, and inflated the bags to the point where the shocks were all the way out - I've now fitted a pressure relief valve just in case it happens again

2: I've used a standard EAS pressure switch to trigger the Viair pump relay - pressure reduces, pump comes in - pressure correct, pump goes off - however this has created a problem with the EAS ECU as I now get sporadic faults "pressure switch permanently open" - basically the EAS cannot understand how it can work without calling on the original pump - either replace the original pump completely with your ARB unit, or fit a pressure switch with a lower value than the standard EAS one, so the original pump always comes in first, keeping the ECU happy.

3: There's no dessicant/drier on the extra pump - watch for condensation, and drain the tank regularly

cheers,

·
Registered
120 Posts
Yes, my pressure switch has started acting up and it causes the EAS to panic. It expects the pressure to fall enough when the suspension rises to cause the pressure switch to open starting the pump. If it doesn't see this, it considers the switch stuck. I believe it also periodically opens the exhaust until the switch opens as a sanity check, i.e. long highway drives where only a leak would cause the switch to open. There is a pressure relief valve in the valve block, so your pressure should never have risen high enough to cause a problem, unless the pressure relief valve is also stuck.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Without hi-jacking the thread with a slightly different subject, I think the EAS pressure relief is working, it just couldn't vent quick enough so the Viair pump overtook it - my EAS has been impeccable up to now (apart from my adaptions causing it issues) so I'm leaving the valve block well alone! either way, the extra pressure relief should cure it :pray:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts