RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Everyone

I am new here. I am thinking of getting a 2010 Range Rover with 80k miles on it. I have read plenty of stories in regard of how unreliable these cars can be, so i am wondering realistically how much i am looking at to keep this specific year model maintained? I talked to the owner, nothing crazy has happened before, car has been dealer serviced and the it looks immaculate.

What do you all thinks?

·
Registered
2006-2009 Range Rover MkIII / L322
423 Posts
Short answer is that once Jaguar took over from BMW, reliability increased.

Unless you DIY, these are expensive vehicles to maintain.

Aping what others have said, it's more like owing an exotic car than a regular SUV.

Ride, interior quality, where you can go, etc. are exceptional, but one way or another, you pay for it.

Best thing to do is find an great independent, get all records from the dealer and have a pre-purchase inspection done by the independent.

80,000 in six years is pretty low mileage.

·
Registered
2006-2009 Range Rover Sport
73 Posts
Why not, cars are build to be driven. If you worry about repair on a 80k miles truck, then you may want to purchase a new car with warranty. Range Rover has full time 4 wheels drives, and air suspension that are not available on other cars, but they are not any more difficult to work on than a Toyota or Mercedes.

·
Registered
22 Posts
IMO its all luck of the draw. I have a 2007 RRSC with 150k miles and not a single problem. I recently got a 2010 RRSC and no issues yet, but already the vision assist cameras are acting out, intermittently losing connection! Thats also why I spent 4500USD on a 3 year complete warranty ! Things can go wrong on all cars, but i've been daily driving a RRSC for the last 3 years and taken them to all sorts of offroad action (Mojave) and long highway rides to hauling trailers. It's built like a tank, but preventative maintenance is required, like with any machinery.

·
Registered
2006-2009 Range Rover MkIII / L322
170 Posts
...nothing crazy has happened before, car has been dealer serviced and the it looks immaculate.
I have a feeling that things will start to happen soon. Those dealer serviced items may have been under warranty for him. Obtain the records from him and make a note as to what was already replaced. If wearable parts haven't been replaced yet, they will need to be very soon with that mileage. Proceed with caution. YMMV.

Over 2 decades of owning Rovers has thought me one very valuable lesson. They're not good "daily drivers" if you only have one car. Somebody said once, Rovers are always bound to be in need of some sort of repair - that's why you should never own just one, for when one is in the shop. :)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts