RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What's up everyone? I am new to this forum but have been a Range Rover owner since 2007. I wanted to get your thoughts on whether to keep my fixed running boards (w/ mud flaps) or get the deployable side steps.

Background info:
I leased a new HSE back in 2007. When we got the car, my wife had a hard time getting in and out of the car which prompted me to get the fixed running boards. My lease just ended and recently returned the car.

I just picked up an 07 HSE S/C and was planning on putting my old running boards on it. But, now I'm debating whether I should just put my old running boards on (which means drilling holes onto the side of the car) or go with the deployable side step option. Is it worth the extra money to get the deployable side steps? Is it reliable? I read some threads that some people had/have problems with these side steps (ie. doesn't deploy when they're suppose to, etc.). Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

D

·
0 Posts
Re: Get deployable side steps or keep my fixed running boards?

Hi,
Being that you live in LA I would go with the deployable ones! They sure are nice and most of the problems are snow/ice related.

·
Registered
106 Posts

These trucks have enough things that go wrong without adding more. Go with what you already have.

·
Premium Member
2006-2009 Range Rover MkIII / L322
305 Posts

Why do you have to drill holes in the side for the fixed side steps? :think:
It's the easiest install, essentially just screwing into the pre-drilled undercarriage.

I personally like the look of a functional SUV, so I have & like the fixed. The delay w/ the auto drove my kids crazy when I tested it out in the showroom.
Just my $0.02

·
Registered
565 Posts

I just had the deployable steps installed as you probably read. They are expensive ($4,000 with installation) but I like how they look when they are tucked in and they are less obvious in the overall appearance of the car. I also have to admit that I like to watch them deploy and retract.

At the end of the day, both will assist your passengers so it is personal preference. Also, as combatninja said, it does add another element of failure which may be a consideration...

·
Registered
543 Posts

DP.

I saw these advertised on http://www.trademe.co.nz and wasn't sure you had them fitted ! Are these examples as per your post or aftermarket alloy sidesteps ?

Cheerio,

Vinniman
'88 Highline
Perth, W.A.[attachment=0:2alrojs5]L322step.jpg[/attachment:2alrojs5]

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2006-2009 Range Rover MkIII / L322
305 Posts

Those are not LR steps, and are fugly IMO. :snooty:
They're designed for F150s or the likes. Just a different look completely.

·
Registered
24 Posts

CombatNinja said:
These trucks have enough things that go wrong without adding more. Go with what you already have.
lol yeah, what he said!

G

·
0 Posts

DPBanker said:
What's up everyone? I am new to this forum but have been a Range Rover owner since 2007. I wanted to get your thoughts on whether to keep my fixed running boards (w/ mud flaps) or get the deployable side steps.

Background info:
I leased a new HSE back in 2007. When we got the car, my wife had a hard time getting in and out of the car which prompted me to get the fixed running boards.
Neither, use the suspensions access feture that is designed for the vertically challenged out there. `)

·
Registered
106 Posts

For some, dropping the truck to access height just isn't enough. My wife is only five feet tall and she has a fair bit of trouble getting in the truck. If she were any shorter or even older maybe, it would probably be a no go. On another note, why on Earth did Land Rover not at least put a nice grab handle on the A-pillar to ease ingress?

G

·
0 Posts

CombatNinja said:
For some, dropping the truck to access height just isn't enough. My wife is only five feet tall and she has a fair bit of trouble getting in the truck. If she were any shorter or even older maybe, it would probably be a no go. On another note, why on Earth did Land Rover not at least put a nice grab handle on the A-pillar to ease ingress?
Because then it would be called an F-150 SUV

·
Registered
405 Posts

My wife is 5ft4 and she raises it to off road mode when she parks so nobody will ding her doors. `)

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

drdread said:
Why do you have to drill holes in the side for the fixed side steps? :think:
It's the easiest install, essentially just screwing into the pre-drilled undercarriage.

I personally like the look of a functional SUV, so I have & like the fixed. The delay w/ the auto drove my kids crazy when I tested it out in the showroom.
Just my $0.02
dr dread: the step portion has pre-drilled holes underneath the car. The holes I'm referring to are the ones needed to hold the front mud flaps in place. I found this out when I took my running boards off my lease and had to deal with the holes when my lease ended.

vinniman said:
DP.

I saw these advertised on http://www.trademe.co.nz and wasn't sure you had them fitted ! Are these examples as per your post or aftermarket alloy sidesteps ?

Cheerio,

Vinniman
'88 Highline
Perth, W.A.[attachment=0:2cgadtjg]L322step.jpg[/attachment:2cgadtjg]
vinniman: i have the OEM fixed running boards. I'll try to post some pics for you.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts